Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 04:12 AM   #16

I have used Powergenix NiZn's. Decent. You need a dedicated NiZn charger. Get the 4 bank Ultracell charger.
http://www.amazon.com/UltraCell-Plus-NiZn-1-6v-Rechargeable/dp/B00ODDKI4I/re...85T6K7S17HSME5
Be careful with NiZn. You should not use them in any other appliance, unless you want to fry your flashgun etc.
Do not use NiMH chargers to charge NiZns, they will screw each other up rapidly..
I used it as a last resort as my K100D had developed resistance issues with NiMH.
Currently using the NiZns with my K30.

07-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I still have my K100D, and ever since new it has been totally intolerant of rechargeable batteries. Apparently, some of the cameras which take AA size batteries are set for a high minimum voltage threshold. Rechargeable batteries quickly drop to 1.2V and hold this voltage in use. I have to use non rechargeable lithium cells which start at 1.7V.
07-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
I recomended rechargables cr-v3 from ebay, I use a pair of them for years on my k100d super without problems
Also I recomended never sell the k100d super , when calibrated with debug program ( many of them have backfocus) it is one of the best ever pentax camera. its old ccd sensor is very very good.
Sorry bad English
Pasarro, here is some info right out of the camera's instruction manual: CR-V3 batteries have rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries.This camera,(k100d Super) uses only non-rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. Also, Nickel manganese batteries and rechargeable CR-V3 may cause malfunctions due to their voltage characteristics. Therefore, use is not recommended. Unquote.

The Energizer 2300mAh that I charged for 36hrs.,(without using) went dead on me last night. So, I believe I will trash them along with the charger and stick to the non-rechargeable CR-V3. 700 shots without use of the RTF (Retractable Flash). Seven hundred is a very good number, so $15.00 a year is a pretty inexpensive and reliable way to go. Thanks everyone again for some invaluable assistance.

Regards,

Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 07-13-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Grammar Error.
07-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Pasarro, here is some info right out of the camera's instruction manual: CR-V3 batteries have rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries.This camera,(k100d Super) uses only non-rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. Also, Nickel manganese batteries and rechargeable CR-V3 may cause malfunctions due to their voltage characteristics. Therefore, use is not recommended. Unquote.

The Energizer 2300mAh that I charged for 36hrs.,(without using) went dead on me last night. So, I believe I will trash them along with the charger and stick to the non-rechargeable CR-V3. 700 shots without use of the RTF (Retractable Flash). Seven hundred is a very good number, so $15.00 a year is a pretty inexpensive and reliable way to go. Thanks everyone again for some invaluable assistance.

Regards,

Tonytee
I Used recargable crv3 li- ion from ebay for 7 years with 0 problems. My daughter Also has a k100d super and she uses same batteries without problems.
Thanks

07-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I noticed the same kind of effect with the K100DS. I got multiple sets of NiMH rechargeables which I kept as sets of four. I found the number of charge cycles to be disturbingly small before getting the battery empty on a newly charged set. I tried eneloops and that was good, then I stopped using the K100DS when I replaced it with K3.

I suspect the K100DS circuit demands very close to full battery to work at all.
07-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
Forum Member

Im wondering if the voltage regulator on board starts to drift over time. I have a Fuji S2 that is picky on batteries as well as a pocket scale that refused to work even on fresh 1.65 volt alkalines. I ended up buying the thinnest button cell battery i could find and wedging it between spring and battery end to give it another 1.5v and by golly it works now. As always, clean your contacts.
07-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tim60,

How is it going on the k-3 regarding its power source? thnx. Tonytee

---------- Post added 07-14-15 at 06:31 PM ----------

Now, I am aware that I will be preaching to the choir, however for those beginners or folks not in the know, here are some helpful hints. There are many ways to extend battery life. #1) I still believe that Manual Focus is better than Auto focus. You would not have to use Auto focus lock, Auto Exposure lock which are known power source killers. Exposure Compensation? Really? For me, ahhh, NO. Also, refrain from using the RTF (Retractable Flash Unit). Instead use a dedicated flash unit with its own power supply. Last, but not least, the monitor. This is probably where most people drain their power supply the quickest. If you see something you do not like, take the photo again and delete what you want to delete after transferring your photos. The top LCD panel? A necessary evil and there is no way to turn it off. I hope these are helpful tips and if there is something I overlooked, please let me know. Best regards, Tony

07-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I have been pleased with the k3 and its battery - the LiIon OEM battery.

I tend to do modest amounts of pictures on an outing, never had a flat battery event and I always try to recharge if it is quite a while since I charged and I am going out. I tend to do the things in your advice above.

But I do prefer to have AA cells since they are easily replaced on the fly - local shop stuff.

With the K100DS I once went to Toulouse and at the last moment had to re-arrange my baggage for over-weight. The battery charger was in the stuff posted home instead of going to France. At least I could go to a local shop and buy alkalines to get me by.
07-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
Forum Member

To add to the power saving tips:
Dont delete unnecessarily, write cycles take more power than read cycles.
Reduce monitor time, You know what you shot, you were
Looking in the viewfinder when the shutter tripped :-)
Dont use live view
Videos take lots of power
Turn down screen brightness if possible. 95% of tablet power demands are the lcd and even reducing brightness increases battery life.
07-15-2015, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks !
The tips about live view and video are very usefull for k100d super proud owners!!
Lol
07-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own a K100D and a K100D Super. I use Energizer 2200ma batteries NiMH and have 3 or 4 rechargers that I use all slow steady not rapid but all in less than 8 hours.

I have good luck and good results with them.
Try another new set.
07-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own a K100D and a K100D Super. I use Energizer 2200ma batteries NiMH and have 3 or 4 rechargers that I use all slow steady not rapid but all in less than 8 hours.

I have good luck and good results with them.
Try another new set.
I did forget one important tip on conserving battery power. When on a photo shoot, do not turn the camera on and off between shots. Doing this will help to keep your battery expenses high and inconvenient. Every time the power switch is turned on, the batteries are asked to bring everything (all features) to the forefront. The best thing is to leave it on until you are through for the day. Hope this helps and thanks for reading,

Tonytee
07-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I did forget one important tip on conserving battery power. When on a photo shoot, do not turn the camera on and off between shots. Doing this will help to keep your battery expenses high and inconvenient. Every time the power switch is turned on, the batteries are asked to bring everything (all features) to the forefront. The best thing is to leave it on until you are through for the day. Hope this helps and thanks for reading,<br />
<br />
Tonytee
<br />
<br />
I have no idea if this is true but I do exactly what you say not to do...

Also lost as to why you quoted me.
07-20-2015, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I think it is likely that Tonytee is correct, although I had never thought of it before.

Explanation:
At switch on the camera goes through the boot-up cycle, loading software from the storage memory to the working memory and doing all the other initialisation of components. This is work which does not get repeated.
Digital devices store states (0,1) in a capacitive structure, the gate of the transistor, so the power cost is in changing state, which happens a lot going through the boot-up cycle but rarely in the 'leave on' state. (This explains why CPUs in general get hotter with increasing clock speed.)
Also, in the boot-up phase the power consumption is high (power, not energy, is explicitly meant here). The effect of this is that the current draw from the battery is high resulting in internal resistance effects in the battery making the delivered terminal voltage dip. This might go low enough to prevent proper operation. This could also cause the fast processing that happens with in capturing an image cause a dip in voltage which results in 'battery depleted' signals. Internal resistance of the battery increases with battery age.

So just like there is an optimum time for other turn off activities, in relation to overall cost, such as how long to idle the car, or turn it off and start when it is time to go again, or to turn off fluoro lights if going out of the room, etc, there is an off time below which it is better to leave the camera on.to sae overall energy consumption.
07-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
<br />
<br />
I have no idea if this is true but I do exactly what you say not to do...

Also lost as to why you quoted me.
Hello Uncle Vanya,

I do not see where I quoted you. If I did, I can assure you that it was unintentional. Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Tonytee