Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tamron Adaptall-2 Mount

I am hoping someone can explain how these Tamron Adaptall-2 mounts work in relation to the Pentax K20d camera.
Recently I bought the Tamron SP 60-300mm zoom from Ebay it was sold with a film Ricoh XR-10. I assumed that this lens would fit my Pentax as Ricoh and Pentax are compatible, I still thought I was taking a chance as I believe some Ricoh lens do not work with Pentax. Fortunately to date the lens works fine with my camera.
I notice that the adaptall-2 mount detaches and I was wondering whether this adaptall-2 can be fitted to other Tamron lenses. Two weeks ago I saw Tamron 200-500mm advertised with an Olympus mount. I did not try to buy as the seller provided no photographs of the existing mount they just said the lens will work with other cameras with a suitable mount.
My question is, can Tamron lenses not just the 200-500mm but any Tamron lens with adaptall-2 mount be fitted to my adaptall-2 then to my Pentax 20d?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS  Photo 

Last edited by galelegg; 07-09-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Spelling error
07-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That appears to be an Adaptall-2 mount, as opposed to the less modern Adaptal. Unfortunately, many sellers may not know the difference.

Any Adaptall (or Adaptall-2) Tamron lens can switch whatever mount is on it and use the Pentax Adaptall mount which you already have. That's how they were designed to be used. Adaptall (or Adaptall-2) mounts are not interchangeable with older Adapt-a-matic lenses, which likewise have interchangeable mounts.

The Adaptall-2 Tamron mount has a K-option with the "A" contacts for electronic aperture communication. If that is what you have on that lens, you're at the top of the Adaptall-2 Tamron game and with an SP lens to boot. (SP is the top of the line of the Tamrons at that time)

There's a considerable amount of other information here, including lists of lenses for each mount. adaptall-2.org

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 07-09-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: mistook which mount was on this camera.
07-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My understanding is the Tamron made 1 lens for all cameras, and adaptall mounts for each individual brand. I do only have 1 Tamron adaptall lens (it came with a M42 adaptall mount) and when I picked up a K-Mount adaptall it worked fine.
07-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

More info on PF here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31918-tamro...-adapters.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50712-pleas...-adaptall.html

07-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a set of bullet points:
  • There are both fixed and interchangeable mount Tamron lenses
  • Tamron interchangeable mounts fall into two groups. The first version was called Adaptall and the second Adaptall-2. The two are similar and while there is some interchangeability, they are not strictly compatible. Both the lenses and adapters are clearly marked as to type.
  • I believe there are also Tamron T-mount lenses.
  • All Adaptall adapters may be used with all Adaptall lenses
  • All Adaptall-2 adapters may be used with all Adaptall-2 lenses
  • There are three K-mount Adaptall-2 adapters:
    • P/K: Equivalent to Pentax-K and Pentax-M series lenses
    • P/KA: Equivalent to Pentax-A. Generally pretty expensive.
    • KR (R I or similar): Made for Rikenon-P lenses. Not strictly compatible with auto-focus Pentax cameras due to presence of "Ricoh Pin". Depending on version, this adapter may become stuck on the body.
    • There is some variation in naming within the K-mount versions. The key is the presence and/or type of contacts on the mount face.
    • I have heard rumors of a fourth adapter type that supports both Pentax-A and Rikenon-P
  • Generic Adaptall adapters on eBay do not provide full compatibility
I own two of the P/K adapters and one P/KA. The P/KA is the more convenient since it is fully compatible with Pentax dSLR exposure metering, but it is fiddly and not fully reliable. I prefer to use the P/K adapters.

Steve
07-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The P/KA mounts also don't understand lenses slower than f/4 -- they will work, but the displayed aperture will be wrong. Also a bit problematic on variable aperture zooms. The PK/A mounts however can be used just like PK mounts just like an 'A' lens with an aperture ring -- just take it off 'A'. (PK/A mounts have a little black button on the side to lock it into 'A' mode.) When taking mounts off and on, always put the lens on the widest aperture and take care to line up the tabs in their little slots. The "SP" series are the best of the Adaptalls and should be generally preferred over non-SP lenses...
07-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the p/ka mounts sometimes need to have the electrical contacts scraped with a razor, the rumor was that they may have some kind of clear coating from the factory?

that 60-300 is a lot of glass for little money, i use on the ff a7r.
07-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the p/ka mounts sometimes need to have the electrical contacts scraped with a razor, the rumor was that they may have some kind of clear coating from the factory?

that 60-300 is a lot of glass for little money, i use on the ff a7r.
I think it some sort of oxidation to the contacts they used -- same thing happens to some old Sigma and Vivitar lenses especially -- even if the contacts are clean they don't conduct until you scrape 'em up with something and then they work great. I haven't had much trouble actually with Adaptall mounts from this problem (although PK/A mounts can have several problems), but was pulling my hair out on some old lenses that wouldn't read properly until I just pulled out a key and scratched up the contacts a bit....

07-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #9

QuoteQuote:
I believe there are also Tamron T-mount lenses.
You are right Tamron produced Tamron mount lenses. It was their first interchangeable lens system.
07-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The P/KA mounts also don't understand lenses slower than f/4 -- they will work, but the displayed aperture will be wrong. Also a bit problematic on variable aperture zooms. The PK/A mounts however can be used just like PK mounts just like an 'A' lens with an aperture ring -- just take it off 'A'. (PK/A mounts have a little black button on the side to lock it into 'A' mode.) When taking mounts off and on, always put the lens on the widest aperture and take care to line up the tabs in their little slots. The "SP" series are the best of the Adaptalls and should be generally preferred over non-SP lenses...
Actually it is really simple. Just apply a dab of nail polish to the mount and makes off the pin that would identify the lens as F5.6.

I did this on my 200-500/5.6

---------- Post added 07-12-2015 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by galelegg Quote
My question is, can Tamron lenses not just the 200-500mm but any Tamron lens with adaptall-2 mount be fitted to my adaptall-2 then to my Pentax 20d?
There are several 200-500 lenses, the one you really want is th F5.6 version
07-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, my Adaptall-2 adapters all read the lowest aperture of my lenses (all below f/4) and seem to allow my K-3 and K-01 to stop them down properly. I have scraped the offending contact on each of them which seems to have made them quite reliable.
07-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tamron Adaptall-2 Ricoh Mount

Thanks for the replies from everyone on the Tamron adaptall mounts. I spent most of the weekend reading a variety of material about the complications of this mount and where it has ended up.
Further to my situation which has become much clearer now I have included a photograph of the mount to the SP60-300mm lens. You will notice two features on this lens that are different to the many photographs on the web of these mounts to cameras such as Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc that being that this mount has the letters RI just below the hole in the mount marked by red arrow. I am assuming this means Ricoh mount. stevebrot refers to this (R I or similar): Made for Rikenon-P lenses. Not strictly compatible with auto-focus Pentax cameras due to presence of "Ricoh Pin". Depending on version, this adapter may become stuck on the body. The hole in my mount is the removed pin which was done by a previous owner. This ebay link will show you a RI mount with the pin still present Tamron Zoom Macro 1 4 5 F 85 210mm Bbar Multi C Camera Lens | eBay (I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THIS LENS ITS NOT ME) third photograph on right. My setup will not give me any F stop readings only Shutter speed and ISO. I hope this post maybe of some help to any person in the future who wants to go down the Tamron Adaptall-2 road using a Ricoh mount which seem rather rare.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX210 IS  Photo