Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-x shutter issue

Which way does the K-x shutter actuate? Is it a vertical or horizontal movement? I have experienced an issue that might be shutter or mirror related: many if not all of the pics have a shadow on the bottom and it extends up the left side of the pic at a 45 angle to right to form a triangle on top of the darker stripe on the bottom. Some pics have this area as a under exposed, and on very bright pics, this part is exposed correctly while the top portion is very overexposed. I understand the image is inverted onto the sensor so it would seem the issue is at the top of the sensor. I have observed the shutter actuation without a lens and honestly, i cant even see the shutter as its so fast, even shooting in live view. Maybe a sticking shutter curtain/petal/pane (whatever this is described as)? I have tried many shutter speeds/f stop combos to no avail. Ill post a few pics tonight. Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-10-15 at 01:53 PM ----------

Could it be mirror bounce? I see no 'seal' up there like the old black foam ring that turn to jelly to dampen the mirror strike. But it happens in LV too..ill have to confirm that.

07-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once ran into trouble with my K-x with some photos that were only partially exposed, which sounds like it might be somewhat similar to the problem you describe. In that case the issue was very weak batteries. If you have not tried this, you might try changing the batteries.

If changing to fresh batteries does not help, you might try posting one or more of your images that demonstrates the problems you are having. That might lead to a quicker diagnosis of your problem.

Best wishes,
07-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
sure. Looking at a video shows no issues. High shutter speed seems to sharpen the edge, low shutter speeds seem to hide it.

here is soft focus image at 1/1000, this is with no lens...

here is harder at 1/500

all but gone at 1/20

here at 1/250

extreme at 1/2000 f/4

Last edited by pishta; 07-11-2015 at 07:10 AM.
07-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
Which way does the K-x shutter actuate? Is it a vertical or horizontal movement?
Vertical

Steve

07-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes, makes sense. Thanks! maybe a rear curtain hanging up half way down overexposing the lower part (upper in the shutter).