Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #1

Help with K-7 & SMC 28 -200mm FA IF and AL Lens

I just bought a K-7 and the above mentioned lens (2nd hand) I thought the above mentioned lens would work on the K-7. I cannot however get this lens to mount on my camera. Am I missing something or did I make a bad purchase? I have other lenses that mount fine. Nothing seems out of place on this lens (nothing bent etc). What am I missing?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-H400  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-H400  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-H400  Photo 
07-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Fa 28-200

I've never seen a Pentax lens or after market for Pentax with the long flange,...the one on the right of your photo. This FA should fit without a problem. I just read the reviews on this forum....no mention of a mounting issue. Hope others will chime in. My only FA is a 28-70/4 and does not have this "extra flange". You could look in the Pentax Lens Discussion section on the forum. I pretty sure I read on here that you could remove the the plastic black part with the flanges and try mounting it to your K-7. Good luck.
07-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Could you post a couple more pictures? One of the front of the lens with out any filters and a couple more of the mount from different angles?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is the long flange is bumping into the contact housing that is inside the camera (the one with the two contacts for hdm motors). I seem to recall a thread on here about that.
07-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flange guard on the right side in the 1st picture is likely the cause of the problem. I suspect that this lens was meant to be mounted on a film camera where the opening of the housing is a full frame size whereas in the k-7, which is smaller. Probably the only way to mount that lens on modern day DSLR APS-C camera is to file off that flange.

07-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Curiosity

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The flange guard on the right side in the 1st picture is likely the cause of the problem. I suspect that this lens was meant to be mounted on a film camera where the opening of the housing is a full frame size whereas in the k-7, which is smaller. Probably the only way to mount that lens on modern day DSLR APS-C camera is to file off that flange.
That appears to be a Pentax lens. Did someone put it there to mount on something else, or did it ship with that?
07-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My dad has one he regularly shoots on his K50. I'm not sure what the flange on his looks like.
07-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

Fa 28-200

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My dad has one he regularly shoots on his K50. I'm not sure what the flange on his looks like.
Would love to know what his look like. Could you ask him to look at photo the OP posted. Thanks.

07-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Would love to know what his look like. Could you ask him to look at photo the OP posted. Thanks.
I will ask.
07-25-2015, 02:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi.
I have the same lens, no problem mounting on my K-7.
It looks exactly like yours on the picture also with the "extra flange".
So, don't know what the fault is.