Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

Camera Strap needed

Is there a brand of strap which is thin and hangs down at least to waist level on a six + footer?

The one supplied with my K-r is too short and wholly inadequate to steady the camera. As do many, I use a strap as photographic tool when lacking a tripod. It must be long and narrow enough to wrap around my back and arms thereby allowing a bit more stabilization in low-light environments. Ironically, the manufacturers understood this during the film era; the long strap supplied with my beloved K-1000 was pivotal in many a challenging shot.

Any advice would be much appreciated. As to slings, rings, strap modules and systems, don't get me started.

As Bryan Peterson says, "Keep shooting."

07-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check out Peak design Slide. I have mine set up as a sling strap and it's great. I am 6'3". Just did a two week vacation hauling my camera every day. That strap made all the difference. I have the following straps. Domke, Kata, Black Rapid, OpTech, and Tamrac and I like the slide best of all of them.
07-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I got a couple Couch straps last year and they are excellent, I also like the "long" neck straps.

I have this one: Couch Camera Strap

I have it adjusted to hang from my neck to just below my waist, slightly below my belly button. I keep it long so that I can sling it around, cross-body style, and the camera rides face-out on my hip. I'm a woman, 5'9", and longer in the leg than in the torso - I don't have much of a "waist", like someone with a longer torso would have. I dunno what your body type is. Just remember we're all proportioned differently. ;-)

As I have the strap adjusted, I could let it out about 4-5 more inches, but then it'd probably be hanging at my crotch. No one wants that.

Couch makes narrow straps as well as wide, and I have a vinyl one and one of the "reclaimed" seat belt material ones. The seat belt material is smooth and flexible, the vinyl is kinda stiff...
07-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Check out Peak design Slide. I have mine set up as a sling strap and it's great. I am 6'3". Just did a two week vacation hauling my camera every day. That strap made all the difference. I have the following straps. Domke, Kata, Black Rapid, OpTech, and Tamrac and I like the slide best of all of them.

I have the Peak Design Slide as well, and I highly recommend it.

07-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ditto - the Peak Design's Slide is quick to set up, easy to use and well-made...

Peak Design Slide Camera Strap (Black) SL-1 B&H Photo Video
07-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by SmilinBob Quote
Is there a brand of strap which is thin and hangs down at least to waist level on a six + footer?

The one supplied with my K-r is too short and wholly inadequate to steady the camera. As do many, I use a strap as photographic tool when lacking a tripod. It must be long and narrow enough to wrap around my back and arms thereby allowing a bit more stabilization in low-light environments. Ironically, the manufacturers understood this during the film era; the long strap supplied with my beloved K-1000 was pivotal in many a challenging shot.

Any advice would be much appreciated. As to slings, rings, strap modules and systems, don't get me started.

As Bryan Peterson says, "Keep shooting."
I have a leather strap from Gordy's camera straps. They allow you to specify the length of the strap: gordy's camera straps
07-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
mee
Site Supporter

I'm looking at the Cotton Carrier right now.. it seems to be superior to the Peak straps in weight distribution due to the dual shoulder configuration. Plus, the CC sets the camera in front of you so always within view... maybe it is another option..

Edit: Actually, you seem to want something that purposely allows the camera to dangle.. so maybe this isn't an option for you!
07-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

I use the Black Rapid women's strap (it's thinner than their other models) and fasten it to the left camera strap lug instead of using the tripod adapter plate.

07-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I was all set to get the Peak Design Slide, but read a comment on Amazon from someone saying the Arca compatible baseplate they use doesn't lock onto the tripod head. The person said they have to make sure to take the camera off the tripod before moving it or it will fall off. That doesn't sound terribly secure. Now, I know you don't just carry your tripod around with the camera attached, but I have been known to walk a couple feet with it still attached and have never had a problem with my current Arca plate. Can anyone with the Peak Design Slide comment on this?

Thanks!
07-17-2015, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I was all set to get the Peak Design Slide, but read a comment on Amazon from someone saying the Arca compatible baseplate they use doesn't lock onto the tripod head. The person said they have to make sure to take the camera off the tripod before moving it or it will fall off. That doesn't sound terribly secure. Now, I know you don't just carry your tripod around with the camera attached, but I have been known to walk a couple feet with it still attached and have never had a problem with my current Arca plate. Can anyone with the Peak Design Slide comment on this?

Thanks!
I don't have an Arca compatible tripod head ( I have a Manfroto) but I went shooting with my friend and he attached my camera with the peak design arca baseplate to his tripod with no problems. I usually just attach the quick connectors to the camera lugs anyway. You could always hook one of the quick connects to your tripod's baseplate.
07-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
I don't have an Arca compatible tripod head ( I have a Manfroto) but I went shooting with my friend and he attached my camera with the peak design arca baseplate to his tripod with no problems. I usually just attach the quick connectors to the camera lugs anyway. You could always hook one of the quick connects to your tripod's baseplate.
Thanks for the feedback, th1952! I have contacted Peak Design, too, to see what they have to say. I see they have a number of different plates and maybe one of them will be a better option to use.
07-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Capturing Couture has some longer straps and a lot of thinner straps. They're nice, sturdy straps, nice looking too most of them, with good metal findings. I usually adapt mine so they have metal hooks as well, but I do believe they have a rig that can extend them even more for bandoleer use. You might want to ask them. They're a small outfit and they might be able to custom a strap that's even longer for you or make one of their guitar straps into one if you'd prefer that.
07-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #13

Thanks for the feedback, th1952! I have contacted Peak Design, too, to see what they have to say. I see they have a number of different plates and maybe one of them will be a better option to use.
Not sure if this will help your decision any, but here are a couple of pics showing the strap hooked to my Manfrotto base plate.

07-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Thanks for the great pics! That does help. Unfortunately, I don't see any holes to put the strap through on my current Arca plate. So I think I will just get the Peak Design strap with their plate and see how it does. They did respond to me and said that their plates don't have the locking pins, but as long as the ball head mount is tight on the plate, it should be fine for moving the tripod and camera a few feet. So, it may be just fine. I also may be able to find another Arca type plate that has locking pins and a hole to put the strap through. Thanks to you for giving me that idea!
07-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #15

Thanks for the great pics! That does help. Unfortunately, I don't see any holes to put the strap through on my current Arca plate. So I think I will just get the Peak Design strap with their plate and see how it does. They did respond to me and said that their plates don't have the locking pins, but as long as the ball head mount is tight on the plate, it should be fine for moving the tripod and camera a few feet. So, it may be just fine. I also may be able to find another Arca type plate that has locking pins and a hole to put the strap through. Thanks to you for giving me that idea!

You're welcome. I think you'll like the strap.