Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
50-200 WR not focusing beyond a certain distance

I was trying to shoot something across a small pond last Sunday with this lens and it wouldn't focus. I switched to another lens it focused and I took the shot.

I noticed the same behavior today. Two other lenses focused on the subject but not the 50-200.
Is there something I might be doing wrong or do I have a problem?

Thanks.

07-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you focus to that distance manually? Could be broken gears if not.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lens adjusts to the distance but there is no focus point or beep. And the shutter will not actuate.

And it is only beyond a certain distance, and only with this lens.
07-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll repeat Adam's question. Can you focus the lens manually? To simplify things, select the center-spot only focusing point. As you turn the focusing ring (not the zoom ring), does the subject come into focus in the viewfinder?

Are you saying the lens will focus on close subjects, but not distant ones?

07-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I can focus the lens manually. Sorry I did not say that.

But it only auto focuses on close objects.

Does that help?

Thanks.
07-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a sigma lens that does this. I'll watch this thread for ideas.
07-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Is there any adapters involved? Probably not as the sub says autofocus. See my post on infinite adjustment, could be focus ring slipped and now infinite is slightly behind mechanical 'stop' limit of focus ring? Might try focusing on known distances until you dont get lock, ie pickets of a fence.
07-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
Is there any adapters involved? Probably not as the sub says autofocus. See my post on infinite adjustment, could be focus ring slipped and now infinite is slightly behind mechanical 'stop' limit of focus ring? Might try focusing on known distances until you dont get lock, ie pickets of a fence.
No adapter is involved.

I have actually used it on a picket fence in my yard and I can get that to focus.

Is there any way to fix the focus ring myself?

Thanks.

07-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
Forum Member

I meant try and get focus lock on different parts of the fence standing at one end of it, like the first picket at 3', then 5th at 7' and so on until you cant get lock, then tell us that distance, ie. 30'. On an M/50 as well as an A/50, you can remove the front ring and see the focus ring to yoke lock screws, the focus ring has the stops, not the yoke so you can turn the focus ring to lock then loosen the screws and manually turn the yoke even farther if that was the problem. I dont think the zoom lens' have that as the focus element is deep inside the group. See this generic diagram. Sounds like the lens is not close enough to the focal plane?