Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

I screwed up. K3 grip wont come off

I screwed up. I over tightened the K3 grip and I cant get it off (This is not the first time). I looked at the other thread that had this issue, but there where not many solutions. What should I do???

I've tried using a flat head, but it just skims the turning knob threads.

07-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did this one time, too. I ended up having to use a wedge head screwdriver and had to rest the camera on my counter to have enough resistance.

Since it sound like you already tried that, I can say NOT to try a hammer or the like. You don't want to do sudden, jarring force but instead use steady, increasing force.

You may want to try and help it get cold, too. Don't put it in the fridge or freezer, but maybe leave the battery grip open and set it in front of an AC vent. That might help the tripod bushing and battery grip screw contract enough to give you an edge when you try to unscrew them again.
07-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You don't even really have to over tighten it, I have done it and I can't imagine I am that strong to tighten it like that!

Anyhow, My husband used his silicone rubber garden gloves, and wedged it so he could get some pressure, but he was able to get it off. I guess you could also try a silicone lid gripper.
07-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ugh, i put it in the freezer. I still cant get it off. I never had this issue with my canon 60D. Canon had a smarter approach by having both batteries sit in the grip tray. I may have to send it out to Pentax?

07-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I frequently have this problem too. A little persistence and a gentle levering with a flat blade screwdriver has worked thus far. There is definitely an issue with the genuine grip managing to over-tighten itself. My theory is that it has to do with temperature changes.

Stay calm and persist, it will come off eventually. K David suggests getting things cold, but it may be the opposite problem too. Maybe try some gentle heat if you cant find someone with a strong enough thumb.
07-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NO HEAT! Try wearing latex gloves like those used for dishwashing. This will give greater gripping power. Also make sure you are trying to move the wheel with both surfaces at the same time. It takes two hands. I use a thumb on the back and forefinger on the front. I have had success by gripping the grip with the grip up and wiggling back and forth clockwise and counter-clockwise several times on the same axis as the tightening wheel.
07-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You could possibly try pushing the grip towards the body to take pressure off the screw while you turn it, since the pins are pushing the grip away from the body causing extra friction on the screw.

07-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
So it looks like actually putting it in the freezer might have helped (The freezer generated a lot of condensation, which is concerning). I used a flat head screw driver again and place it in on the threads. While pushing across the thread with the flathead screwdriver, i used my other hand to move the other side of the grip attachment wheel. The grip finally came off, that was an insane amount of work to get this thing rolling. The issue I have now is the mirror still has some stubborn condensation on it. I have attached some pics so everyone can see.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5  Photo 
07-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Warm dry environment may help. Do you have any desiccant?
07-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Put a thin smear of grease on the thread before you use it on your camera again.
If you can get someone to dismantle the grip, get them to put some grease between the thumbscrew and the top of the case on the inside. That is where it will be getting stuck.
07-12-2015, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe teflon dry lube spray like people use on guns.
07-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Put a thin smear of grease on the thread before you use it on your camera again.
If you can get someone to dismantle the grip, get them to put some grease between the thumbscrew and the top of the case on the inside. That is where it will be getting stuck.
I'll have to make a trip to Home Depot to get some grease. I don't a repeat of what happened, this really freaked me out. Took me about 2 hours to get the attachment wheel to move .

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Maybe teflon dry lube spray like people use on guns.
Looks like just having the camera sit allowed the condensation from the freezer to go away.
07-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UMDTERPS Quote
I'll have to make a trip to Home Depot to get some grease. I don't a repeat of what happened, this really freaked me out. Took me about 2 hours to get the attachment wheel to move .
I strongly recommend against grease as it will pick up dirt and make life difficult. Seriously consider the dry teflon coating sprays. Spray a Q-Tip and use that to apply the stuff or mask off the camera with a plastic dry cleaning bag before spraying and do it outdoors if worried. I'm fairly certain that dry lube will not pick up dirt and it really works nicely.
07-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I strongly recommend against grease as it will pick up dirt and make life difficult. Seriously consider the dry teflon coating sprays. Spray a Q-Tip and use that to apply the stuff or mask off the camera with a plastic dry cleaning bag before spraying and do it outdoors if worried. I'm fairly certain that dry lube will not pick up dirt and it really works nicely.
Okay, I'll check that out. I checked the thread of the grip just now and it looks perfect. I'm just perplexed why it got stuck...
07-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UMDTERPS Quote
Okay, I'll check that out. I checked the thread of the grip just now and it looks perfect. I'm just perplexed why it got stuck...
I think it is some fault, I am not that strong, no way could I have tightened something so hard my husband had trouble getting it off. he said it didn't skip a thread or anything. I rarely use mine now because of that, I posted this same issue a few months ago. someone suggested teflon tape.