Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I think it is some fault, I am not that strong, no way could I have tightened something so hard my husband had trouble getting it off. he said it didn't skip a thread or anything. I rarely use mine now because of that, I posted this same issue a few months ago. someone suggested teflon tape.
Yeah, its seems like a fault in the grip. I mentioned before, NEVER had this issue with the Canon 60D. I may try some Super Lube (I have some laying around).

07-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UMDTERPS Quote
The freezer generated a lot of condensation, which is concerning
Once it's back at room temp, you'll be fine. It's just like taking your K-3 on a ski trip!

So when you use it in the future, you only need to tighten it until it stops. The contacts are all weather sealed when they seat properly.
07-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Once it's back at room temp, you'll be fine. It's just like taking your K-3 on a ski trip!

So when you use it in the future, you only need to tighten it until it stops. The contacts are all weather sealed when they seat properly.
I've always found my grip difficult to remove, so I've learned to almost under tighten it - not so it's sloppy - to facilitate removing it. They really are stubborn.
07-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I have the same issue regularly and have just got into the habit of using a flat head screw driver, place the tip down in the trough between the body of the grip and the wheel and give it a controlled push. once the wheel has turned a mm or two finger strength is sufficient from there. Also remember: Lefty loosey. I mentally check every time

07-12-2015, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Glad it came off!

Now that it's fixed and the OP should be less worried, how is it that no one commented on the irony of that pun in the title? Screwed up, because it's... Oh nevermind.
07-13-2015, 04:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm more used to working on cars but it's surprising what problems a small piece of material in the threads can cause. Make sure all the threads are as clean as possible, that's where you have to be careful about using any sticky lubricant as it will attract and hold stuff which causes just this kind of problem.
07-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My technique to remove a stubborn grip is to turn the camera over, and to use two hands to turn the thumb wheel. Right thumb on the front side (facing me) of the wheel, left forefingers on the back side (facing away from me) of the wheel, pulling in opposite directions, usually provides enough leverage to turn even the stiffest wheel.

07-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #23

Seems like the thread doesn't lock but the thumb wheel. Possibly WD40 with cling film protecting the body.

Maybe a credit type card forced between the thumb wheel and slot.

Last edited by View; 07-14-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: other options
07-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by View Quote
Seems like the thread doesn't lock but the thumb wheel. Possibly WD40 with cling film protecting the body.

Maybe a credit type card forced between the thumb wheel and slot.
I continue to advise against any wet oil. Teflon Dry Lube is an option however. It sprays on and does not leave any wet residue.
07-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another idea I use to minimize taking the grip on and off is to set the camera to use the grip battery first. That way the camera battery is only used in the rare event of the grip battery becoming depleted. I swap the batteries about every three months to even out the usage.
07-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #26

Pretty sure we've all done this...and more than once. The regular (flathead) screwdriver works, but it's the resistance on the opposite side that most seem to have the trouble with. I had forgotten one time which direction to turn to take it off. Huge mistake obviously, immediately feeling it grip that much tighter. I ended up using 2 screwdrivers, one on each side for a true grasp of the cogs. Was pretty effortless at that point without any unreasonable force being used.
07-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Harm Solo Quote
Pretty sure we've all done this...and more than once. The regular (flathead) screwdriver works, but it's the resistance on the opposite side that most seem to have the trouble with. I had forgotten one time which direction to turn to take it off. Huge mistake obviously, immediately feeling it grip that much tighter. I ended up using 2 screwdrivers, one on each side for a true grasp of the cogs. Was pretty effortless at that point without any unreasonable force being used.
That's more than likely what happened. I thought I was unscrewing it, but I was actually making it tighter. As you see from the pictures it took some force to get the grip off. The grip even has battle scars