Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

K-3 user having trouble

Hello:

I am a new user to the K-3 and haven't had a lot of practice, but took some shots this weekend of sunflowers and it looks I have some incorrect settings on auto-focus since most were out of focus. Is there a "general" setting that works best of newbies?

Also, I have figured out how to set the bracketing, but can't figure out how to turn it off. Can someone help with that? (My k10 was easier to operate the bracketing).

Tks!

07-12-2015, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bracketing, you mean exposure bracketing? That is under the 'drive mode' button. Up arrow on the key pad, but make sure the keypad is in keypad mode, not select AF point mode. The button down and to the right toggles that.

AF settings? Single center point, AF.S. That is as basic as you can get. Set it that way and test it. When you get good results that way then look to try some of the other modes.

Don't take this the wrong way but you really need to read the manual. K-3 is a complex beast with lots of features and settings that affect how it works.
07-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
One thing that may help is the initial setup of the camera. There is a good youtube.com video called "Pentax K3 initial setup". After that, if you are still getting blurry images on the AF-S setting, there may be a need for some lens adjustment.
07-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctt Quote
I am a new user to the K-3 and haven't had a lot of practice, but took some shots this weekend of sunflowers and it looks I have some incorrect settings on auto-focus since most were out of focus. Is there a "general" setting that works best of newbies?
If in general all your shots are blurry, you might need focus adjustments (something the K10D only allowed via the debug menu); it's somewhere in the menus (see page 45 of the English manual).

If those shots were close-up shots, remember that at close distance your DoF will be shallow, so the slightest forward/backward movement will cause out-of-focus.

PS:
If I'm not mistaken, the K3 review on this site has a section with 'recommended' settings.

PS2:
Found it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-review/recommended-settings.html

07-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you were closer to the sunflowers than the minimum focus distance of your lens, no amount of tweaking will fix the problem. Was the autofocus beeping and confirming focus?
07-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're in AF point selection mode, you might need to press the AF point button below the 4 way controller before the up button will grant you access to the drive mode menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2015, 02:45 AM   #7
ctt

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Bracketing, you mean exposure bracketing? That is under the 'drive mode' button. Up arrow on the key pad, but make sure the keypad is in keypad mode, not select AF point mode. The button down and to the right toggles that.

AF settings? Single center point, AF.S. That is as basic as you can get. Set it that way and test it. When you get good results that way then look to try some of the other modes.

Don't take this the wrong way but you really need to read the manual. K-3 is a complex beast with lots of features and settings that affect how it works.
Tks; yes I have read the manual& it is a lot to read. When I go into the drive mode; I can't see how to turn it off.

---------- Post added 07-13-2015 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevwaly Quote
One thing that may help is the initial setup of the camera. There is a good youtube.com video called "Pentax K3 initial setup". After that, if you are still getting blurry images on the AF-S setting, there may be a need for some lens adjustment.
TYVM; I'll review that this evening!

---------- Post added 07-13-2015 at 05:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you were closer to the sunflowers than the minimum focus distance of your lens, no amount of tweaking will fix the problem. Was the autofocus beeping and confirming focus?
My close ups were pretty good; but most of the landscapes at 270 were not. Yes it was beeping that was in focus & I was using center point. Tks.

07-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctt Quote
Tks; yes I have read the manual& it is a lot to read. When I go into the drive mode; I can't see how to turn it off.
You don't turn it off, just change to single exposure mode. You can have only one 'drive mode' selected at a time. So to turn of bracketing, hit up arrow> select single exposure mode (all the way on the left). You might have to hit the up arrow to get out of bracketing options if you went there. Bracketing is a "drive mode" not an option.

The top menu in the drive selection mode has the main selections: single, multi and so on. If you select one and then hit down arrow you get more options on some of them. For bracketing you get options for the number of exposures and EV between exposures.
07-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
ctt

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You don't turn it off, just change to single exposure mode. You can have only one 'drive mode' selected at a time. So to turn of bracketing, hit up arrow> select single exposure mode (all the way on the left). You might have to hit the up arrow to get out of bracketing options if you went there. Bracketing is a "drive mode" not an option.

The top menu in the drive selection mode has the main selections: single, multi and so on. If you select one and then hit down arrow you get more options on some of them. For bracketing you get options for the number of exposures and EV between exposures.

That's making sense now. TYVM.