Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
weirdest film problem ever

Hello.

I had been carrying around an Ilford single-use camera for about 6 weeks, and I finished the roll and dropped it off today. The first eight frames I shot are there, as are the last three. In between are 16 identical frames of a pen and maybe the edge of a printer? I'm not sure, it doesn't look familiar to me. I honestly do not specifically recall what I shot in the middle of the roll, since it was just here a photo, there a photo over the course of several weeks. I know it wasn't that, though.

Of course I've had experience with overexposure and underexposure and frames not turning out, but I've never seen anything like this--a single image repeating, frame after frame, in the middle of a roll.

I did drop off another roll of film (shot in a PZ-1) at the same time, and it turned out fine.

Does anyone know what might've happened?

Thank you in advance for your help.

07-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
Does anyone know what might've happened?
Disruption of the space/time continuum?

I suspect they got your film confused with someone else.

Steve
07-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

do you have any children or other little hands that would have used the camera and then put it back where you last had it? Seems to happen here a lot. My kids want to convince me some stranger is coming in the house using my camera and then putting it back, but I am not buying it.
07-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do, but they're 12 and the weirdest thing is that the image is identical in every frame--I'm not sure how that could even be possible since you have to advance the film manually in one of these little singe-use cameras. It seems like even the steadiest hands, advancing while still at eye level, would move at least a little and the frames would vary. The image is out of focus, and looks more like what you'd get if you tripped the shutter by mistake while getting the camera out.

I did call back and request to be contacted if someone else came in with negatives they didn't recognize, and of course they assured me that such a mix-up is impossible, only one roll can go through at a time, and so on and so forth.

07-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #5

Person at the lab rewinding the film? Are they properly spaced? Any double exposure? Weird
07-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you get the negatives back?
07-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #7

Right, did you get the negatives back? Along the perforations there should be some information such as film type or number and usually frame numbers. If the info is there and don't match up then there is your evidence that the negatives got mixed up right there. Even if this information is missing you can check the spacing on the perforation holes near the cut edges of the strips. If those don't match up or the spacing changes there is more evidence of a mix up.

But if you have a strip with both images you took and the unfamiliar ones then that would mean they all came from your camera.

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-15-2015 at 07:30 PM.
07-16-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They did all say XP2, so I have to assume the same camera. I'm now wondering if the counter was off and maybe the roll wasn't actually finished--another tech called and said when that happens they shoot a few shots in the back to get the machine to read the roll (it has to have enough shots on it or something). This is seeming like the most probable thing (that fuzzy image does look like the back of the store).