Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Arca Swiss no-twist help for d-BG5

So simple question: does anyone know of a no-twist custom Arca Swiss type quick release plate for the BG5?

I was excited to have my battery grip arrive in the mail today and not shortly after astonished to see that Pentax has inexplicably redesigned the bottom of the grip to something much more convex then the flatter BG4.

This is strange is the grips are almost identical and this introduces several more pieces and seams to a presumably environmentally sealed object .I could not imagine the design necessity of this. It seems like a purely arbitrary decision. Nonetheless my no-twist plates for the BG4 will not work with the BG5.

This alarms me as I have become very dependent on the quick release plate. And as I recall it was almost impossible to find one created specifically for the BG4.

Thanks

07-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
haven't seen anything out there... only the mestos but they are not responding and its not possible to order anything from them anymore... tried different ways....
07-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about a custom machine shop? Has anyone had one custom made?

I would almost rather alter the pins on my BG4.

That brings up an interesting option. Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket grips maintained the original bottom of the BG4 instead of this new rounded disaster.

Also, what happened to Mestos?
07-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It wouldn't be so pretty, but you could just take some Sugru and mold something to prevent twisting. It cures to a fairly firm rubber, and it's pretty easy to scrape off if you don't like the result.

Mestos... who knows? Their website works fine, until you try to check out. I did some research and the problem is that they need to update their shopping cart software. But I can only assume that since their ordering hasn't worked for at least 6 months, the business is no longer active.

07-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/299746-k5ii-grip-k3ii-stopped-working.html

That might be of interest. Apparently the grips are compatible if you remove one of the guiding peg things.