Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Arca plate for BG5 SOLVED! Sort of...

I have this awesome Mestos non-twist plate for my BG4. It doesn't fit on the BG5 and there are no plates for the BG5. As I was staring at both grips, mainly the top alignment pins, cursing Pentax for the needless change in lower contours, I noticed that the plates on the top of each grips were identical. Not the pins but the metal plate everything is mounted to. The plate is secured to the recessed top of the grip wiht 13 tiny screws of 2 different sizes (so keep track).

I was a simple matter to switch the BG4 and BG5 top plates. Not I have a battery grip with my old arca plate that fits the K3. Also the new BG5 will now fit the K5. The cameras bottoms are so close that the grips fit almost perfectly. The K5 looks a little small in the wider rim and the K3 a bit small. But if you already own both grips, this is the cheapest and most elegant solution.

And if they ever come out with BG5 plates, you can easily switch the tops back.

10-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. Would be great to see some pictures of the operation.
10-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ended up abandoning this solution in favor of another that had a better fit on the cameras. I had noticed that the generic versions of the BG5 have the old bottoms that fit perfectly with BG4 plates. In addition this was further evidence that Ricoh had no reason to change the contours of the bottom of the grip, it was for seemingly no reason whatsoever ( except of course to cause me huge difficulties ).
10-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the after market guys were smart, they'd advertise that feature. Definitely would have made a difference for me on which grip I purchased.

10-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ordered pretty much the three main aftermarket grips, the one from Neewer seem to be the best quality. My original plan was to somehow see if I could remove the bottom off one and put it on the OEM grip. But the grip seems good enough that I could just use it as it is. It's been on my camera now for several months and I can't tell the difference between how well it works and my other two cameras with Genuine Pentax grips. Plus they are about 100 bucks cheaper.