Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Brand New K3II Wont Power Off

I really need to check these things before I apply my $35 glass screen protectors.

I just got my brand new K3ii today and it has that problems where it wont power off. SO I can return it and get a new one or immediately send it in. Either way O am 2 weeks to a month with no camera again! My K3 had a back focus problem. Is it me or is quality control dropping as of late.
This is my third Pentax in a row that I have not been able to use after buying. And now it seems like Sony is becoming the new third player so accessories like QR are near impossible to find now. I thought my RRS l bracket for the K5 was going to fit but it does not. And the reason seems an arbitrary rather than necessary design change. Between this and the new ugly red rings, I am wonder should I finally give up and join the evil empire of Canikonopolis.

Sorry, not meaning to troll. I am so frustrated. Today was suppose dot be awesome. I sent the family away so I could shoot all day. Now I am just fuming on the couch. Cant even call Ricoh ( maybe another evil empire) until Monday.

Man!

07-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Is the serial# in the range of the recall for that problem?
07-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
I really need to check these things before I apply my $35 glass screen protectors.

I just got my brand new K3ii today and it has that problems where it wont power off. SO I can return it and get a new one or immediately send it in. Either way O am 2 weeks to a month with no camera again! My K3 had a back focus problem. Is it me or is quality control dropping as of late.
This is my third Pentax in a row that I have not been able to use after buying. And now it seems like Sony is becoming the new third player so accessories like QR are near impossible to find now. I thought my RRS l bracket for the K5 was going to fit but it does not. And the reason seems an arbitrary rather than necessary design change. Between this and the new ugly red rings, I am wonder should I finally give up and join the evil empire of Canikonopolis.

Sorry, not meaning to troll. I am so frustrated. Today was suppose dot be awesome. I sent the family away so I could shoot all day. Now I am just fuming on the couch. Cant even call Ricoh ( maybe another evil empire) until Monday.

Man!
Your first resource, as always, is the seller. Call them, not Ricoh, and request a replacement.

Steve
07-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

I would recommend getting the camera exchanged. Both B&H and Amazon have reported to our members that their current inventory is outside of the affected serial number range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Is the serial# in the range of the recall for that problem?
Yes, Under 6206660 with some small exception ranges.

I am of course returning the unit. But a week to get there and another back. That's 2 more weeks minimum with no camera. My K3 is getting fixed because it also had a defect. Didn't have it tested and confirmed till after return window closed. That's what I get for not buying from B& H.
These Ricoh clowns are not making it easy on my beloved Pentax. I just realized, the R I C O H on the back of the K3, well, that was a warning :-)
07-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

These Ricoh clowns are not making it easy on my beloved Pentax. I just realized, the R I C O H on the back of the K3, well, that was a warning :-)
Yeah right, Canon and Nikon never have service advisories (stuff like spots on the sensor or mirrors falling off)
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/index.page
Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : Consumer & Home Office
07-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yeah right, Canon and Nikon never have service advisories (stuff like spots on the sensor or mirrors falling off)
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/index.page
Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : Consumer & Home Office
Not talking about them. Hoya seemed to run the ship smoother, and they didn't try to take over the brand.

AND, I had a local place to service my Pentax when there was a problem. So a day turnaround, not a month.

07-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The service situation was not great under either Ricoh or Hoya (at least in USA) -- definitely a weak spot for the brand.
07-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Not talking about them. Hoya seemed to run the ship smoother, and they didn't try to take over the brand.

AND, I had a local place to service my Pentax when there was a problem. So a day turnaround, not a month.
Are you here to argue and complain or to get the answers you need to get you back on your way ?
07-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Are you here to argue and complain or to get the answers you need to get you back on your way ?
I guess I am here to complain. And as a bonus, irritate sanctimonious a-holes.
No arguing from what I can tell. I am also here to warn folk how easy it is to drop 2 grand on defective cameras and find yourself in a tight spot. Maybe someone will read this that has something to do with quality control. That never happened to me under Hoya or Asahi. AND, as I am prone to do here from time to time, wonder out loud if it is time to switch back to the evil empire.

I have bought 2 defective cameras new in 4 weeks. I cannot find any custom QR plates for them. And I am still denied the Tokina 11-16. ouch.

I am sorry you only like happy posts with rainbows and unicorns, but this factual stuff. Which is what you can do with it. Maybe wipe that brown Ricoh toner off your nose.
07-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Then you posted your rant in the wrong place. The sanctimonious a-holes don't hang out here.

Steve
07-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ignore him

I suggest we just ignore him. It does not appear that he is interested in help or productive discussion.
07-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I suggest we just ignore him. It does not appear that he is interested in help or productive discussion.
+1 for me
07-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

evilcartman,

I guess that many of us who have experienced a problem with camera gear can understand the frustration.

Frequently, a bit of online research can reveal potential problems. For example, Googling "Pentax 'K-3 ii' problem" shows the 'power-off' problem in the first several hits (as of today) (granted, you may have ordered it before the service notice was issued or when the problem was first reported on the forums).

As for the RRS plates, their on-line catalog shows different distinct L-plates for the K-7/K-5 series and the K-3. It's certainly disappointing to be required to purchase a new plate, but there's no guarantee that successive camera models will maintain certain physical characteristics. Buying a general-purpose ('universal') L-plate can help in this regard (perhaps not as ergonomic as a custom-fit plate, but usable nonetheless - and probably transferable to your future cameras). I don't think we can say for certain whether the change in the bottom plate design of the K-3 was necessary or arbitrary.

Applying the screen protector may have been premature.

I don't think many here would agree on your characterization of the other makers as "evil" - they all make good gear, and are generally respected.

If the colour of the rings causes grief, it may be time, indeed, to move on.

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Hope you're able to get the camera fixed or replaced soon.

- Craig

PS. Pentax Forums is a collaborative, supportive, and very positive place - it's rare that we see name calling and vulgarity (post #10).

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-18-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Clarify.
07-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

No arguing from what I can tell. I am also here to warn folk how easy it is to drop 2 grand on defective cameras and find yourself in a tight spot. Maybe someone will read this that has something to do with quality control. That never happened to me under Hoya or Asahi. AND, as I am prone to do here from time to time, wonder out loud if it is time to switch back to the evil empire.

I have bought 2 defective cameras new in 4 weeks. I cannot find any custom QR plates for them. And I am still denied the Tokina 11-16. ouch.

I am sorry you only like happy posts with rainbows and unicorns, but this factual stuff. Which is what you can do with it. Maybe wipe that brown Ricoh toner off your nose.
If you believe things have deteriorated that much under Ricoh, you haven't been reading the forums for very long. You must have missed the K5 lens release buttons falling off, the defective K5 sensors, the defective K5 autofocus that couldn't be repaired... the list goes on. And you must have missed the (USA, at least) service horrors stories from both the past and present service providers.

But it's not reasonable to complain about 3rd party lens availability, especially if you bought a Pentax in the last several years. 3rd party lens manufacturers have been increasingly abandoning Pentax over the past several decades, and you knew that going in. And you knew that other accessories, like 3rd party QR plates, would either take longer to appear for a new Pentax model, or might not appear at all. You had to suspect that since some other Pentax body accessories have only worked on pairs of bodies (k10/k20, k7/k5), it was likely that the k3 might bring another change in that regard. And, assuming you're talking about the RRS plates, and the plate was important to you, you could have contacted RRS and asked if/when they had planned to make a QR plate for the K3.

All manufacturers have problems, but honestly I'm not familiar enough with current-generation Nikon or Canon products to know if their problems are similar or not. I'll agree that Pentax needs to address the time delays and effectiveness of its service, and I even believe Pentax should do everything it can to encourage accessory manufacturers to produce models for Pentax, even to the point of facilitating 3rd party lens manufacturers who will actually compete with Pentax products. But, partly thanks to this forum, at this point we all know what we're getting into with Pentax.