Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

K200D Focus Ring Snapping

Hey all,

I've browsed the forum for related threads but am unable to find anything related to my problem.

I was out using my camera as I always do, with no issues. I am brand new to photography so I use AF mode and then manually turn my focus ring or zoom ring, to set the distance of the shot. I then hold my shutter button half way, it focuses, then I shoot.

Problem is now I get home, and the focus ring appears to be snapping back to the middle instead of being able to move freely, adjusting my lens. The lens is in the A- position. The only thing I have noticed is in my Menu the AF Mode is greyed out and won't let me change it from AF.S when it would before.

I haven't touched any settings and have been using it as mentioned above for months.

Here is a video showing my problem: https://goo.gl/photos/zRDukvoe3pAqZE3B8

Here are some images displaying the lens settings: https://goo.gl/photos/5jxypLTpTDSf8PEk9

Thanks for any help,
TB

07-19-2015, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I haven't seen that before, but I can tell you that unless the lens has quick shift (which that one doesn't) you shouldn't be touching the focus ring while the AF gear is engaged, even if the camera is off. Is that a power-zoom lens?

When you focus with such a lens, use AF or use manual. If you want to switch from one to the other, use the AF/MF switch on the front left of the camera to engage/disengage the gears. If you don't then you'll force the gears and motor which will damage them.

You should zoom before focusing, not after, as changing the focus length will most likely change the focus. The order should be:

1. Set focal length and compose shot
2. Use AF to focus using shutter half-press
3. Disengage AF and focus manually if required/desired
4. Shoot
07-19-2015, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TurtleBro Quote
Problem is now I get home, and the focus ring appears to be snapping back to the middle instead of being able to move freely, adjusting my lens. The lens is in the A- position. The only thing I have noticed is in my Menu the AF Mode is greyed out and won't let me change it from AF.S when it would before.
Yup, you definitely shouldn't be manually focusing any lens without quick shift (i.e. no lens from the film era) unless the camera is in MF mode. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have broken the lens's AF mechanism, but try giving the contacts on the camera mount a quick cleaning, re-mount the lens, and see if that restores AF functionality. Also, with the lens dismounted see how far the focusing ring can be turned.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-19-2015, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks like you trying to turn the zoom ring, and your lens is in power zoom mode (motor inside the lens zoom). I'm not sure if K200D support the power zoom function, which might be the reason why nothing happens. Try pulling the zoom ring toward the camera so the zoom ring cover the "power zoom" text.

Check the power zoom section in the manual for more info:
http://www.gyes.eu/documents/smc_pentax-fa_interchangeable_lens_operating_manual(2002).pdf

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-19-2015 at 02:09 AM.
07-19-2015, 03:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It looks like you trying to turn the zoom ring, and your lens is in power zoom mode (motor inside the lens zoom). I'm not sure if K200D support the power zoom function, which might be the reason why nothing happens. Try pulling the zoom ring toward the camera so the zoom ring cover the "power zoom" text.

Check the power zoom section in the manual for more info:
http://www.gyes.eu/documents/smc_pentax-fa_interchangeable_lens_operating_manual(2002).pdf
First thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.

Second, Fogel that did it! I pulled the zoom ring toward the text, and it's back to normal. Perhaps seated in my case in the car simply pushed it forward.

Reading the other replies, the 'power zoom' is something I do not want to touch in AF mode? Or am I getting that confused with manually focusing the lens?

In AF or MF mode the zoom ring has the same feel, where as before in AF mode when I turned the zoom with my hands, I definitely felt resistance so I stopped. But in MF mode turning the lens felt free of resistance and was smooth.

Thanks again guys, I'll check back in the morning for a follow up