Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax ME occasional blank negatives

Hello Everyone! I'm new here and new to photography,

I recently started getting into Analog photography so got myself a Pentax ME (it was supposed to be a ME Super but the seller sold it incorrectly) after doing some research into what camera to get to get started.
I took it on holiday with me and shot 3 rolls of colour film (Afga Vista Plus 200ISO x 2 and an expired Kodak Max Versitlity 400 ISO exp 2006) . I got some fab photoes from it but also noticed something strange.

On one roll of film in particular there are some blank film shots. It was a 24 exp roll and I got around 18 shots from it the rest appear blank. There is no problem with the other photoes, they are not going half blank implying a shutter malfunction. There are photoes before and after the blank ones so it isn't something perminatly broken. I've been checking the mirror to see if it comes up properly when I'm shooting and it appears fine. Same with the shutter curtain. I'm a bit stumped as to what has caused the occasional blank/non exposure.
My only thought is it could be a certain shutter speed isn't working properly/mis timed which is why a handful failed as its automatic as to what shutter speed the camera uses.
Anyone had experience with this issue?

Thank you!

07-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
By "blank" do you mean the film for those frames is clear, or black?
07-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Completely clear you can see the frame numbers so not a development issue
07-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The classic cause would be accidental shutter release with lens cap on. Beyond that, it is hard to say. I have a Russian rangefinder that does that on occasion, but with that camera it is due to a mechanical issue (funky multi-throw ratchet) where it allows a second wind-on even when the shutter has not been released.

Steve

07-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah I'm not sure it is that. I know what photos should have been on the blank parts of the film. Which is why I'm so confused. I think ill just have to give it in to get repaired somewhere.
07-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Squirrelu Quote
I know what photos should have been on the blank parts of the film.
Well, it sounds like the leading curtain (blade) may not be releasing consistently. Electronic shutters such as those in your ME Super are generally not very serviceable, though it does not hurt to inquire.

Steve