Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Aperture is not working on k-50

Just found this forum and it is amazing! My problem: I bought a Pentax K-50 body only from B&H Photo. I planned to use my old K-1000 lenses with it. I have checked youtube and found out how to make the adjustments to the camera to accept the old lenses but the aperture does not change. The viewer just has "F---" and when I move the aperture, nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is going to be? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

07-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by getting back into it Quote
Just found this forum and it is amazing! My problem: I bought a Pentax K-50 body only from B&H Photo. I planned to use my old K-1000 lenses with it. I have checked youtube and found out how to make the adjustments to the camera to accept the old lenses but the aperture does not change. The viewer just has "F---" and when I move the aperture, nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how it is going to be? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
That's how its gonna be. However, all you have to do is put the camera in M mode and press the green button. It will take a meter reading and set the shutter for you.
07-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax forums!

As noted above, for lenses lacking contacts on the mount (the "A" contacts), you are left with shooting in M mode with stop-down metering. The reason has to do with a "dumbing down" of the auto-focus version of the K-mount sometime in the past such that the body has no coupling to the aperture ring setting.

General directions for non-A-contact K-mount lenses may be found at:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Steve
07-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help. At least now I know I wasn't doing something wrong. Hoping to learn more as time goes by.

07-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by getting back into it Quote
Hoping to learn more as time goes by.
Indeed. Aren't we all?