Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Urgently need help with firmware update K3 please !

Hi all !!

I have just downloaded and copied the K3 latest firmware (fwdc220b.bin) to a (formatted) SD card and the file size "should be" 14,047 KB.
Once on the card, however, it is now 16,444 KB ??
There is also a DCIM file in there (empty of course).
One last question: why is this showing as fwdc220b.bin and not as fwdc221b.bin ???

Is it still safe to proceed with the update on the camera ?

Thanks and any quick answer would be greatly appreciated.

JP

07-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

16838656 May 12 10:38 fwdc220b.bin

This worked for me.
07-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi all !!

I have just downloaded and copied the K3 latest firmware (fwdc220b.bin) to a (formatted) SD card and the file size "should be" 14,047 KB.
One last question: why is this showing as fwdc220b.bin and not as fwdc221b.bin ???

JP
JP, the latest firmware (ver1.21) is indeed fwdc220b and after you un-compress the file it would be 16444kb. Make sure the file is copied to the root directory, same level as the DCIM file folder. Also, make sure the battery is fresh (fully charged).
07-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
And if you haven't started your update yet: make sure entering the sleep mode of your camera after a certain time is turned off. (menu/settings/3/auto power off).

07-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi all !!

JP
If the camera recognizes it, then yes. The size on disk may differ from the actual filesize due to the filesystem on the card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
JP, the latest firmware (ver1.21) is indeed fwdc220b and after you un-compress the file it would be 16444kb. Make sure the file is copied to the root directory, same level as the DCIM file folder. Also, make sure the battery is fresh (fully charged).
QuoteOriginally posted by Lille Ulven Quote
And if you haven't started your update yet: make sure entering the sleep mode of your camera after a certain time is turned off. (menu/settings/3/auto power off).
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
16838656 May 12 10:38 fwdc220b.bin

This worked for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If the camera recognizes it, then yes. The size on disk may differ from the actual filesize due to the filesystem on the card.
Thanks for the replies !
I'll get to it ASAP.
@ Lille Ulven : why is that?

JP
07-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

jpzk you should turn of auto-sleep because else you might just never get to see the "Complete" message as your screen just a split second before that went into sleep mode. And then you'll wonder if the update has completed or not if something is wrong (as you wouldn't be able to see the processed bar either)...should you press a button or would that corrupt the update...until you finally dare to press the shutter button. If you're lucky the update was indeed completed at that point if not well I don't know what would happen then...

Best of luck

Lille Ulven

07-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lille Ulven Quote
you'll wonder if the update has completed or not if something is wrong (as you wouldn't be able to see the processed bar either)...should you press a button or would that corrupt the update...until you finally dare to press the shutter button. If you're lucky the update was indeed completed at that point if not well I don't know what would happen then...
exactly ^^ I forget to disable the auto sleep and have to install the firmware twice to be sure =))
08-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Late ... late .... late replying !
Sorry folks.

Thanks for the replies!
08-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter