Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
[K20D Troubleshooting] All my photos are green

hi everybody

Since today, each time I take a photo, I have a green one. Till now, there was no problem. it appeared suddenly. I have no solution to resolve the problem. I have already reinitialized it, but the problem is still there. I'm in Madagascar and I have no idea about how to fix the problem. Can anyone help me ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

First, remove the green filter from the lens. Ok, kidding.

But seriously, try a different SD card first as a bad card can lead to weird effects.

If that doesn't help, and you already did a factory reset (a TOTAL reset), then it looks like your sensor or some control board function died and you're only getting the green channel. Then it would be time to go shopping...
07-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have probably tried it, but maybe not: do you have custom white balance setting?
Turn the camera on, press the Fn button, followed by the left arrow. Then you can pick the proper white balance.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added 07-26-15 at 05:35 PM ----------

I just checked your sample picture: you only have data in the green channel. Both the red and the blue is empty! This would mean that vonBaloney is correct, and that there is something wrong with your sensor...
07-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Sometimes, when images looks normal, there are many green lines appearing. I have already picked the WB, still the same green images

---------- Post added 07-26-15 at 06:38 PM ----------

So I may consider my sensor as dead ? What may cause that ?

07-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

At first, try a factory reset. That probably won't help, but first things first.
There is a small chance that your firmware got corrupted. So, try flashing the latest firmware (and double-check if it indeed got flashed, it may stop the updating process if it detects the same firmware already on the flash).
If that doesn't help it's either the A/D converter that's broken or the flex cable from sensor to A/D. (K20D has one off-sensor AD). The cause could be moisture, shock, static electricity or simple material fatigue... Anyways, a broken connector cable can be fixed, a broken A/D probably is not worth fixing.
07-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing that your sensor may be failing. Does the K20D have a black & white jpeg mode? That might get you by temporarily, until you can get the problem diagnosed.
07-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
The factory reset does not resolve thge problem.

It's annoying because sometimes, the images are normal, but most of time, il's green. A friend of mine told me that the Bayer filter is damaged. But is it possible that it is a connector ? That's the way I explain the normal random photos.

I'm so sad. I'm in Madagascar and there is no Pentax dealer here. Just one year after buying the K20D (a used one) and it's already almost dead. It took me three months of my salary Idon't know if I'm able to buy a new one.

07-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ssddago Quote
The factory reset does not resolve thge problem.

It's annoying because sometimes, the images are normal, but most of time, il's green. A friend of mine told me that the Bayer filter is damaged. But is it possible that it is a connector ? That's the way I explain the normal random photos.

I'm so sad. I'm in Madagascar and there is no Pentax dealer here. Just one year after buying the K20D (a used one) and it's already almost dead. It took me three months of my salary Idon't know if I'm able to buy a new one.
Assuming you tried a new SD card (definitely try that), then if you get normal images once in a while, it is probably a connection, but who knows. It would need to be sent to repair in any case which would cost more than buying another one...
07-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
in case of moisture put it in rice to sucks up the moisture. People recommend in a sock with cap loose to avoid anything getting in. You haven't mentioned trauma to camera so maybe moisture.
07-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
I confirm, no trauma. I just bought silica gel. Wait and see
08-04-2015, 05:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
One thing annoys me. When the camera is hit by the sunloght for a few minutes (not directry through the lens), it appears to produce normal images.
08-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ssddago Quote
One thing annoys me. When the camera is hit by the sunloght for a few minutes (not directry through the lens), it appears to produce normal images.
That does sound like a intermittent connection somewhere -- heats up, things expand just slightly, connection holds. Cools down, things shrink, and it doesn't. At least that's one theory. Humidity is another -- I have a laptop that works fine in dry climate and air conditioning or if it has been on a while and is warmed up. But from a cold start in humid weather and it starts typing by itself. I get a bunch of stuff like "8888888888888888888888888888888888" and it won't stop. Humidity will find any weakness in electronics and cause chaos...
08-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

Hi

When I see weird things like that, the first thing I will try is to insert another SD card.

According to the manual (p. 114) your camera has a live view function that is activated by turning the main switch to the right (beyond the "on" position). The camera will then show a live image of whatever you are pointing the camera towards (like a movie cam). Point it towards things of different colors. Do that image also appear green now, even if pointed towards other colors? If not, it is definitely not the sensor.
08-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

I like that photo.
02-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #15

Original Poster
I'm back here to say that finally, I learnt to see world in W&B and shoot only on this way when using my K20D (I love it). A new way to appreciate the pleasure of photography.