Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input!

Although I am now very, very confused by the various opinions and facts, my budget is about $100 so I am thinking about this lens which I can get from Amazon for about $100.

Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras

Will this do what I want? I'm thinking that if the aperture is stopped down to f/1.8, then I will still be able to use a relatively fast shutter speed indoors for handholding my camera. Is that correct?

Also, FWIW, I have an 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, not the 18-55, and it is so bulky that I don't want to take it with me to places like my doctors and dentists because I don't want to be a lug. I will be taking pictures in small exam rooms and, like I said, I want as shallow depth of field, which is different than sharpness, which I also want. I also want to be as discreet as one can with a DSLR!

I am now just asking if I have all the correct letters and numbers on this potential lens. I'm very new to Pentax photography, and have yet to learn all of the codes of the lenses. I do know that SMC = Super Multi Coating, but the DA, FA, I am stumped!

Thanks guys (and gals, if there are any)!

07-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA50/1.8 (full name SMC Pentax-DA 1:1.8 50mm) will give you a nice shallow depth of field with acceptable sharpness wide open and nice rendering of out of focus areas (bokeh).

The DA35/2.4 (SMC Pentax-DA 1:2.4 35mm) will give you slightly less subject separation, but a wider angle of view if you want more framing options in tight spaces.

They are both superb lenses for the price, and full frame compatible by all accounts. You can't lose either way.
07-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for that confirmation, Sandy Hancock! Take good care, ~Antonio
07-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioD Quote
. I will be taking pictures in small exam rooms and, like I said, I want as shallow depth of field, which is different than sharpness, which I also want.
I think you're still vulnerable to distracting backgrounds, Antonio, because in a small room you might have the subject two metres away and the shelves are only a metre behind them.

I think whatever lens you get, a popup neutral background or a draped sheet may be required, too.

Ultimately if you can lure them to a nearby better location - indoors, a corridor or stairwell with big windows, outdoors, an overhanging doorway or whatever - that's better.

07-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter

And as it turns out, a friend of mine has just posted a DA35/2.4 for USD100 in the marketplace....
07-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For $100, I change my answer. The da35/2.4 is easily the right choice at that price point (used).
07-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No better AF lens at that price - lock and load.
07-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras

Will this do what I want?
I second the thought that you'll have a hard time getting the results you're describing in small exam rooms. I suggest you invest in a bag of lollipops to lure potential subjects to areas that are easier to work with. Maybe don't use the term 'lure' out loud though.

To this end, I'd also suggest you get yourself a test model (a friend, or yourself if you have a tripod) and try out your zoom lens to see what results you can get. Work with the subject to background distance to see how this affects the background blur. Try it out at 35mm and at 50mm to see how you like these fields of view. Practice in open spaces and in cramped rooms. The better you can do with your zoom, the better you'll be able to do with either of the primes in contention, so it's useful practice no matter what.

'm thinking that if the aperture is stopped down to f/1.8, then I will still be able to use a relatively fast shutter speed indoors for handholding my camera. Is that correct?
Yes, at f/1.8 you will be able to use relatively fast shutter speeds indoors. It will depend on the light, and how how you're willing to bump the iso.

I am now just asking if I have all the correct letters and numbers on this potential lens. I'm very new to Pentax photography, and have yet to learn all of the codes of the lenses. I do know that SMC = Super Multi Coating, but the DA, FA, I am stumped!
A glossary of abbreviations: Pentax Lens Terminology - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

07-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And as it turns out, a friend of mine has just posted a DA35/2.4 for USD100 in the marketplace....
Thanks Sandy for the plug! I love the lens but with a DA 40 Limited and an F 50 f/1.7 both in my kit already it is hard to justify keeping it out of circulation.

If for any reason the OP doesn't want the 35 I would suggest that the DA 40 XS is another good option. Not quite as shallow in Depth of Field but really stunningly small which may put people at ease. The 35 is fairly small already but not nearly as tiny as the 40 XS.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-29-2015 at 09:27 PM.