Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Eye-Fi Mobi and RAW+ files

Could someone who uses an Eye-Fi Mobi (not the pro) please answer this question:

When you shoot in RAW+, and you are using an Eye-Fi Mobi (non pro), what happens when you tell it transfer the RAW+ file? Does it effectively transfer the full resolution JPEG? Does it do this in both Auto and Select modes? Certainly it doesn't just transfer the JPEG preview of the RAW file, right?

I'm using a K-50 and want to start being able to auto or select transfer JPEGs of the RAW+ files for instantly sharing on my phone or tablet. Is anyone doing this? What is your experience?

07-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just an update: Got the answer I needed from Eye-Fi themselves. They said the regular Mobi card transfers the full resolution JPEG of the RAW+ file and leaves the RAW on the camera. So all is as expected on that front. Hope this helps if anyone had the same question.

Lately I've been having fun using my Panasonic LF-1 that has wi-fi and transferring pictures to my phone for instant sharing with family and friends at events. Wishing I could do this with my main camera, I decided to modernize my K-50 a little bit with the Eye-Fi card and shoot RAW+. I hope it is as easy and painless as it can be. Maybe it's just me but the rate at which I share images with people after an event has passed is very low. Of course I need to convert to JPEG, do a little PP for correction, etc. With my limited personal time, it just never gets done. Hopefully this way an acceptable JPEG is created and shared with whomever would want it right then and there.
07-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You beat me to answering. Yes when in RAW+ the only thing the MOBI sees is the JPG and it transfers it just like it would if you shot just JPG.
07-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You beat me to answering. Yes when in RAW+ the only thing the MOBI sees is the JPG and it transfers it just like it would if you shot just JPG.
Thank you for confirming, UV. I appreciate it.

May I ask you a few questions about using the Eye-Fi?

Could you tell me if you have any experience with using it with an iPhone and/or an iPad?

Is it easy to do selected transfers of JPEGs to a device? Or is it kind of a hassle where you have to go through a bunch of menus on either the phone and/or the camera to connect them together each time you want to transfer?

In real life usage, does it drain the battery intolerably? Does the card heat up as I've read reports of?

Is it reliable or have you had any corruption / errors with image files?

Any other thoughts or experiences with the Eye-Fi would be helpful. Thanks again!

07-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote

Could you tell me if you have any experience with using it with an iPhone and/or an iPad?

Is it easy to do selected transfers of JPEGs to a device? Or is it kind of a hassle where you have to go through a bunch of menus on either the phone and/or the camera to connect them together each time you want to transfer?

In real life usage, does it drain the battery intolerably? Does the card heat up as I've read reports of?

Any other thoughts or experiences with the Eye-Fi would be helpful. Thanks again!
I have an EyeFi Mobi that I have used with my K-r and my new K-3.

From the iPhone side, there's no control over what happens. You run through the initial setup, which installs a certificate in your phone. When you want to download photos, you open your Settings app and connect to the EyeFi's network. Then you open the EyeFi app and the photos download.

With the K-r, the card controls which photos get transferred. As a photo is sent, it is "marked" so that it will not get sent again. This can be problematic if you have multiple devices.

With the K-3, there is built-in EyeFi support, so the options are much better. You can transfer only one photo, several of your choice, an entire directory, etc. You can also reset the counter to mark all photos as unsent.

Then, you open the app, and the selected photos begin transferring.

With the dual slots on the K-3, this is really great. I shoot with a 32GB card in slot 1, and an 8GB EyeFi Mobi in slot 2. I write RAW files to the 32 and (XS) 2MP JPGs to the EyeFi. After an event, I transfer all the photos to my device, I might post a couple to Instagram, or if there are photos of friends and family, I can easily send them using any number of methods.

I haven't had any issues with the card heating up, or corrupt images, or massive battery drain. But I've only had the card for a few weeks.
07-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you are around other networks, there is a setting in the iphone/ipad that you can select that your device won't automatically connect to another network. This keeps your eyefi card on the eyefi network once you connect and it stays there. If you don't do this, once you have a lull in the photo transfer it will kick off the eyefi network and connect to a new network. That means that you would have to reconnect to the eyefi network everytime.
Don't forget to turn auto reconnect back on when you are finished shooting so you can get back on the internet

Hope this isn't too confusing

Randy
07-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote

My experience is like Lavascript's - the K50 being more like the K3 in the sense it supports the eyefi directly. The iphone worked fine, I never noticed overheating, I used full size JPG's and it wasn't fast or slow really. Selected transfers work best - the camera interface isn't too hard. No corruption issues.

I did have a lot of trouble getting the eye fi to work originally - I went through a few before I got one working. Still not sure what the magic was.

07-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My experience is like Lavascript's - the K50 being more like the K3 in the sense it supports the eyefi directly. The iphone worked fine, I never noticed overheating, I used full size JPG's and it wasn't fast or slow really. Selected transfers work best - the camera interface isn't too hard. No corruption issues.

I did have a lot of trouble getting the eye fi to work originally - I went through a few before I got one working. Still not sure what the magic was.
I had to take one back and the second one worked... but still can't get the desktop app to work. Tech support is awefull at best

Randy
07-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is a lot of great info, thanks to all for their thoughts and experiences.

I went ahead and picked up a used 16gb Mobi for a decent price. I'm a bit concerned now with the comments about going through a couple or few before it worked out. Hopefully it just works.

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
With the dual slots on the K-3, this is really great. I shoot with a 32GB card in slot 1, and an 8GB EyeFi Mobi in slot 2. I write RAW files to the 32 and (XS) 2MP JPGs to the EyeFi. After an event, I transfer all the photos to my device, I might post a couple to Instagram, or if there are photos of friends and family, I can easily send them using any number of methods.
And about the size of the JPEGs, that is another thing. I usually go with full size JPEGs with the RAW+. But when it gets on my phone or tablet, ready to share out to people or social sites, maybe full size isn't the best idea after all. If I end up needing to reduce the JPEG size anyway before it gets shared, that kinda defeats the 'convenience' factor. Maybe I should reconsider the output JPEG size.

And dual slots on the K-3 as you described sounds awesome. This is really pushing me to want to pick up a K-3v1 if prices become extra-tempting towards the end of the year. Along with all it's other highlights and advantages, of course.

After I test out the Mobi card in a few days, I'll report back with my experience.