Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Have gone back in Camera Time & sure need Help

Yep sure have

Because a friend needed my K10D Especially with the Pentax 55-300 Lens so off it is GOING.

As I am more into just Landscape & a few Buildings in the 18-55mm range and wanted to DOWNSIZE the Physical size yet still keep the CCD sensor we decided to go for a Pentax *istD that arrived today with a Sigma18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC Lens.

This started off disastrously as it would not accept the Brand New AA (Cheap) Batteries with just a "Flashing Battery" icon.then found a solution.

Charged up my Rechargeable AA Ni-MH Batteries and off we went the Camera would now switch on possibly because the Physical size of the Rechargeable Ni-MH was a little bigger.

So thought that was the end of it - BUT NO not to be. Looked at Manual set some settings up and then down to ISO 200 and thought we were off and running HILARIOUS NO again hehehe.

Times it would "Click" times it would NOT"

So not to be deterred OFF we went to the Elk River here in Sparwood B.C.

And once again it was Hitty/Missy in Green/P/Tv/AV modes.

Came back across the railway tracks pointed the camera down there and lo and behold we got THREE Pics Green/P/Tv Modes. Patience a little thin yet still think we got one later with the AV mode.

Tried the Pentax 28-70mm Lens from the K10D before I deliver the K10D and that would not alter the zoom from 50 like it did on the K10d

As one anyone can realize I am STILL a beginner here YET even found the journey with the K10D quote rewarding without all this anxiety.

SO to cut that "LONG Diatribe" short --->>>

Can anyone help me with the settings and how to with the Pentax *istD???

Cheers for years
Colin

07-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny story, I just picked up another ist DS for $59 on eBay. First thing I had to do was update the v1.0 firmware. It's a completely different camera when running v2.02.
07-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you jkomp316

Now somehow have to find what the version is and how to update it hehehe

Cheers for Years
Colin
07-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #4

I think you should stick with the K10D. It's a great camera. I still have mine.

07-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Blake

That may be so --->>> BUT when I tell someone they can have this Camera - to me --->>> It is "SIGNED SEALED and then DELIVERED" and that is what I am going to do.

Although did find that the Firmware on the *istD is v1.12 and THING that is the last???

Cheers for \years
Colin
07-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

First - get a new - I mean NEW set of rechargeable AA's. If all else fails use them in remotes later.

Second - do a full factory reset to defaults.

Third - check the contacts for any corrosion and clean them off with a pencil eraser or something if needed (no moisture though... so no liquid cleaners).

Fourth - check the lens contacts and the body contacts for any looseness or corrosion.

Check back after all that...
07-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Just a few quick notes.

As others have pointed out, get new rechargeable batteries. Let the filly charge. Latest frimware is I believe 1.13, but it's been a while. The update can be had on the Pentax site, but you will need to look for it, it is about 10 years ago but they still can give you the update. Go to support and pick the camera nmddel.

For the failure to shoot, make sure you don't have the shutter interlocked with focus confirmation. You can also remove this by switching from AF-S to AF-C with the AF mode switch on the front of the camera.

The *istD is a great little camera, and does some things better than any other Pentax DSLR including its flash management, and also metering with legacy lenses.

Have fun
07-29-2015, 02:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Let the filly charge.
Don't you mean "let them fully charge"? 😁

QuoteQuote:
The *istD is a great little camera, and does some things better than any other Pentax DSLR including its flash management, and also metering with legacy lenses.
I had an *istDL which I was in no hurry to upgrade from. Suddenly it died. Electronic issues with no spares available, and Ricoh declared it unfixable as a result. I mourn its loss, as I had been hoping to dedicate it to M42 adapter work if repairable. I wonder if OP's *istD might not be approaching a similar situation. If it stops working it will almost certainly be in paperweight territory at once.

07-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Don't you mean "let them fully charge"? 😁
yeah. Auto spell correction on my iPad has a mind of its own
QuoteQuote:

I had an *istDL which I was in no hurry to upgrade from. Suddenly it died. Electronic issues with no spares available, and Ricoh declared it unfixable as a result. I mourn its loss, as I had been hoping to dedicate it to M42 adapter work if repairable. I wonder if OP's *istD might not be approaching a similar situation. If it stops working it will almost certainly be in paperweight territory at once.
I am not so sure, depending upon what the OP finds, it may be a serviceable camera for quite some time. Your experience of sudden failure is more the norm. They don't show , except for the sensor developing hot pixels over time, don't generally degrade over time. They just stop, as your did,
07-29-2015, 05:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

No hot pixels from me, just sudden death. I hope OP's camera has a longer and happier life.
07-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you UncleVanya and all others

Have fully charged Batteries and reset to factory defaults, Had already checked that contacts were clean.

Also used a couple of other suggestions - One set AF-C instead of AF-S and used P mode

Went outside and took two pics.

ISO is 200

Cheers for Years
Colin
07-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Thank you UncleVanya and all others

Have fully charged Batteries and reset to factory defaults, Had already checked that contacts were clean.

Also used a couple of other suggestions - One set AF-C instead of AF-S and used P mode

Went outside and took two pics.

ISO is 200

Cheers for Years
Colin
Working so far? If so FANTASTIC! I never owned that camera but it is a sweet little thing and I have a similar sensor in my K100D and K100D Super bodies.
07-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you UncleVanya

Was REAL wary about resetting to Default values but saw it left the Firmware @ v1.12 so that was a relief and PARTICULARLY that it took pics no problem

Yep see that the K100D share the same lenses after I went looking for a different lens that the Sigma18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC. Yet it seems to function pretty well to my "Untrained eye"

We will see what happens now we have just got back from a little "ClickClickClick" with the *istD, Oly E-500 650nm Infrared and the Panasonic GF3 FS with 720nm IR Filter.

Am in the process of also comparing the Pics from the *istD with the Nikon 1 S1

Cheers for years
Colin
07-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kamicota Quote
Thank you UncleVanya

Was REAL wary about resetting to Default values but saw it left the Firmware @ v1.12 so that was a relief and PARTICULARLY that it took pics no problem

Yep see that the K100D share the same lenses after I went looking for a different lens that the Sigma18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC. Yet it seems to function pretty well to my "Untrained eye"

We will see what happens now we have just got back from a little "ClickClickClick" with the *istD, Oly E-500 650nm Infrared and the Panasonic GF3 FS with 720nm IR Filter.

Am in the process of also comparing the Pics from the *istD with the Nikon 1 S1

Cheers for years
Colin
Yup - factory defaults only applies to the camera user settings - not firmware. It resets the options that the user may have changed back to the default options.

The Nikon 1 is a nice little camera. I would expect it to compete with the *istD in a lot of ways depending on lens options you have. It will outperform it in video and with wireless features. The 10-30mm Nikon CX mount zoom would be roughly similar to what you have in terms of range. However you may see that the depth of field is not able to be as shallow which may or may not be an issue for you.
07-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank You UncleVanya

The Pentax *istD/Nikon 1 S1 comparison is not for which to keep

Here is a Pic I took today way above the Valley with Lots of saturation.

Now I have to decide on Lens. How to Night Time Pics and adjusting settings. As am relatively new to photography . Stared just over 4 Years Totally Infrared Cameras until about 9 Months ago when the urge came to also give regular cameras a whirl.

Now am enjoying both worlds.

Cheers for Years
Colin