Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

What? Why?

This morning I was out with my K20 taking photos in a local orchard. Everything was going well and I was looking forward to seeing them on my computer. I took a shot of a nest - looked at the screen to check it for exposure etc and saw a message. 'Cannot display this image' (or words to that effect). At that point I realised that all my lovely images were GONE!

The camera still won't take and retain a shot. The images I KNOW I had on the memory card don't seem to exist anymore.

Anyone got a clue about what is going on? Any ideas of ways to fix it? Currently it will take a photo and the back screen says Delete - the photo disappears into Never Never Land or somewhere and the message becomes 'Cannot display this image'. Very aggravating and disappointing.

08-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
This morning I was out with my K20 taking photos in a local orchard. Everything was going well and I was looking forward to seeing them on my computer. I took a shot of a nest - looked at the screen to check it for exposure etc and saw a message. 'Cannot display this image' (or words to that effect). At that point I realised that all my lovely images were GONE!

The camera still won't take and retain a shot. The images I KNOW I had on the memory card don't seem to exist anymore.

Anyone got a clue about what is going on? Any ideas of ways to fix it? Currently it will take a photo and the back screen says Delete - the photo disappears into Never Never Land or somewhere and the message becomes 'Cannot display this image'. Very aggravating and disappointing.
Most likely the SD card's fault- have you tried a different card?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Could it be the memory card itself that is on its way into "Never Never Land or somewhere"? That would be my first thought. If you haven't already, try another one.

Cheers,
08-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Broken sad card. Try new one. You can try to recover images using data recovery tools - doubtful it will work.

08-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Did you format the card before using? This can happen with an unformatted card as well as a bad one.
08-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I tried a different memory card as recommended without success. Then I noticed that the top dial had moved - and instead of being set on Manual it had shifted two settings (past B to whatever that is after it!. I'm really not very technical I'm afraid.) I have no idea how the top dial got moved - but I recall it happened once before, but a long time ago so my aging memory didn't remember it in time to check it.

So between returning the camera to Manual and reformatting the memory cards the problem seems to be fixed. Well - apart from losing my images from this morning and possibly gaining a couple more grey hairs.

Sometimes I wonder how I learned new things, and fixed problems before computers came along and gave me access to wiser people like you guys.
08-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Banned

Two clicks past "M" mode would be either "X" (flash sync) or Av (aperture priority). Either way, something should have been recorded and visible upon playback. Likely you have a bad / dying card or card slot. The "unable to display" message would be spawned by a read or write error, not an exposure one.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
08-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I am glad you got things working

That being said, the warning you describe usually indicates a corrupted or unreadable file system on the SD card. The most common causes are removing the card (or camera USB cable) from the computer without a clean eject/dismount or doing a format using the computer. In those cases, an in-camera format is usually not possible*. There are also possible causes such as dirty/corroded contacts or a dying card.

Steve

* In that case, I recommend the format utility available from the SD Association Web site (LINK).