Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #1

Numbering system on K5

Hi all

Whilst in Europe I took quite a large number of photos (over 4000), but in doing so I found the numbering system on my K5 was a bit limited.
It seems the numbers "only" go up to 10,000 and then revert to 1
When I started the trip, the camera was up to photo #9400, and so quickly it became #1
this meant that when I transferred the photos to my laptop, the computer decided that the correct order was numerical, so the photos were all over the place

Now, I know for the future that a solution for this is to rest the photo number to 1 before i head off, but I wondered if there was any way of changing the default numbering system so that, say, the highest possible number was 100,000? This would be perfect.

I notice from the menu that you can change IMGP to any other combination of letters, but I wondered if you chenged IMGP to just IMG, would this allow you to have numbers that go up to 100,000? Because, if you can then I could get really greedy and have letters IM and then the numbers could go up to 1,000,000. Now that would be impressive, but not nearly as impressive as actually taking 1,000, 000 shots

Ian Pegram

08-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
Hi all

Whilst in Europe I took quite a large number of photos (over 4000), but in doing so I found the numbering system on my K5 was a bit limited.
When I started the trip, the camera was up to photo #9400, and so quickly it became #1
this meant that when I transferred the photos to my laptop, the computer decided that the correct order was numerical, so the photos were all over the place

Now, I know for the future that a solution for this is to rest the photo number to 1 before i head off, but I wondered if there was any way of changing the default numbering system so that, say, the highest possible number was 100,000? This would be perfect.

I notice from the menu that you can change IMGP to any other combination of letters, but I wondered if you chenged IMGP to just IMG, would this allow you to have numbers that go up to 100,000? Because, if you can then I could get really greedy and have letters IM and then the numbers could go up to 1,000,000. Now that would be impressive, but not nearly as impressive as actually taking 1,000, 000 shots

Ian Pegram
The numbering is fixed from 1 to 9999 regardless of the letters you choose, unfortunately. You should be able to sort the files by date on your computer, though Look for the sorting options at the top of the window.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-02-2015, 12:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam
yes, I did eventually work that out. And it was compounded by having a second SD card which had all different numbers too. And then I had photos from a third sd card from my little Panasonic, problem being that it hadn't changed for daylight savings, and so the photos from it were an hour apart from the Pentax ones. I used Picasa to change the times on all the photos, so that they matched up. Once i had the correct sequentila order, I renumbered all the photos in windows explorer.
Now all is good in the world
Ian
08-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I changed the IMPG prefix to K5__ (that's two underlines) - to differentiate from my previous camera. When I got to 9999 all I had to do was change to K5_1.
[The truth is I didn't realise at the precise moment that I had to change, but I only had a few images to rename.]

08-02-2015, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I changed the IMPG prefix to K5__ (that's two underlines) - to differentiate from my previous camera. When I got to 9999 all I had to do was change to K5_1.
[The truth is I didn't realise at the precise moment that I had to change, but I only had a few images to rename.]
I use 5000 prefix and when passing the 9999 limit, changed it to 5001, next to 5002, and so on.
For K-3 I use 3000.
For 645Z, if I ever can afford one, I'd use Z000.
08-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
I use 5000 prefix and when passing the 9999 limit, changed it to 5001, next to 5002, and so on.
For K-3 I use 3000.
For 645Z, if I ever can afford one, I'd use Z000.
That's a great tip, I think I'll do that!
08-06-2015, 03:54 AM   #7

I use the Namexif application to rename all my photos when I have downloaded them to my computer. So, all my photos are simply named like this: 20150727204936. The numbers are, of course, year, month, day, time in hours and minutes and seconds. I find this a sensible way to automatically have all photos file sequentially. So, I don't really care what the camera decides to name them.
08-06-2015, 04:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
Hi all

Ian Pegram
What I do is this, for my K7 and K5 which allow custom prefix, I have each camera with a prefix either _K7D or _K5D as required. For my *istD and K10D I download the cards into a directory just for the purpose of renaming the files. I use Paint Shop Pro, which allows for custom rename, so I set the prefix to represent the correct camera and set the number sequence to add a leading 1 or 2 etc as required

It is an extra step but important to be able to distinguish shots by camera when running multiple bodies without generating duplicate file names that can lead to issues later

When I sort my photos I sort by date created, therefore if the time clocks are right the sequence is correct regardless of camera taken. This is an option in most photo browsers