Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #1

blurry sports photos

I'll be the first to admit I'm a novice photographer at best (translate - "soccer mum", love to take lots of action shots, but no skills). I have a Pentax K-X, which used to take brilliant photos on sports mode and in rapid sequence, clear enough to zoom in on the finished photos, crop and enlarge. Somewhere along the line it seems the camera settings have been changed (by me? by Junior photographers? inadvertently? ) and now in sports mode the photos are a little blurry, don't take the "rapid fire" as they used to and often are so bad I switch over to my iphone instead (and get better shots)
Have tried reset custom settings, tried the other reset function. Prior to this I tried a few things reading the manual, but while improved a bit, not like it was.......
Suggestions? (small country town, the place I bought it at closed down and we no longer have a camera store....)

Thanks!!

08-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
switch to manual? =)

Sorry, i don't know about sports modes or anything. I would suggest learning to use the camera in manual mode, or in some of the semi-manual modes. In those modes, you should keep your shutter speed at 1/400th of second, or preferably higher, if you are seeking to freeze the action.

Could you post some of the settings that the camera chose for you in sports mode? When you view the picture, and it tells you the settings it used at the bottom, shutter speed, aperture, and iso. Perhaps compare those numbers to the numbers shown in the images that were good, and let us know if there is a difference.

As for the burst mode, try re-formating your memory card - warning, this will erase all images on your card. This is sort of like resetting the card, and it MIGHT operate a bit faster. Or try to see whether you've accidentally switched the burst mode to the "low" setting versus the "high" setting.

All the best!
08-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Would you be able to post one of the photos, and include info on the lens and the EXIF details (shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc) ? That would help determine what might be wrong. There are a range of things that cause blur eg. turning shake reduction off, inadequate shutter speed, using multi-point focus where there are too many things to focus on, too little depth of field, too slow shutter and camera shake.
08-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you changed SD cards possibly? Do you delete pics on the card or transfer and then reformat?

08-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Shoot in Sv mode at 1/800 - or faster. Set drive mode to Hi and af to AF-C. Set ISO to Auto (3200 max).

That about covers Sports mode.

Note, If your camera pops up the flash disable auto flash as this will cap shutter speed.
08-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Shoot in Sv mode at 1/800 - or faster. Set drive mode to Hi and af to AF-C. Set ISO to Auto (3200 max).

That about covers Sports mode.

Note, If your camera pops up the flash disable auto flash as this will cap shutter speed.
I think you meant TAv?
08-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Ya that

Actually TV.... No TAv on a KX
08-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Ya that

Actually TV.... No TAv on a KX
Oh, so Tv or Manual with Auto ISO right? I have a K-5II and I forget how the other cameras work sometimes.