Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #1

Here we go again

Miranda 930 TDC Flash another question to the more knowledgeable members. It was suggested that I sell this flash and make a few quid. Having thought about it's not worth the trouble for the low price it would sell at ebay etc. As some of you know I'm very wary about attaching this old flash as I don't want a burning smell coming from either the flash or worse still the camera. I would like to know though whether it would work safely mounting it on a tripod and plugging in a lead from the hole at the side of my camera (I don't know it's name). Once again any suggestions will be welcome.

08-05-2015, 03:05 AM   #2

Interviews and manuals suggest that the flash sync socket is shielded against high voltages, but it was never specified just how high.

There was some discussion of the Miranda 930 TDC in an earlier thread, but no definite conclusion was reached. Personally, I wouldn't worry about using the flash with a sync cord, but don't take that as an assurance.
08-05-2015, 03:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 2c, buy a YN-560 mkIII or IV and call it a day
08-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the same thread as topace, and other sources also indicate it should be safe (at 11.5V).

An alternative is to use a flash trigger/transceiver. E.g. the Cactus triggers should handle anything up to 300V.

08-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recall a similar post on this forum in the last day or so. I am not sure if this particular flash was mentioned. Suggest the OP chase this post down. If in any doubt don't risk it. If any component gets fried you can be it will be the expensive camera, not the low value flash. I do not believe use of cord will give any greater protection than using a hot shoe. If absolute clearance can not be found then there are just two options. Junk it or use a wireless trigger. Cheap triggers can be found on ebay. They do work. perhaps not as good as the more expensive models but they do work.
08-05-2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I recall a similar post on this forum in the last day or so. I am not sure if this particular flash was mentioned. Suggest the OP chase this post down. If in any doubt don't risk it. If any component gets fried you can be it will be the expensive camera, not the low value flash. I do not believe use of cord will give any greater protection than using a hot shoe. If absolute clearance can not be found then there are just two options. Junk it or use a wireless trigger. Cheap triggers can be found on ebay. They do work. perhaps not as good as the more expensive models but they do work.
If I recall correctly, it was (the OP didn't yet know his way 'round here) in Welcomes and Presentations...
08-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This type of question would be so much easier to answer if Pentax would just officially state which trigger voltage is safe, but that's not going to happen so we're stuck with educated guesswork. The flash units that Pentax has made in the DSLR era have tended to use trigger voltages below 3V, so we know that that's safe. People have reported on-line that they've been told (unofficially) that any legacy Pentax flash is also safe. Since some of the older Pentax flashes go as high as 7 or 8V, we can assume that that's safe although it's not official.

So your Miranda falls into a grey area. If it measured hundreds of volts then we could say for certain that it's not safe, but instead it seems to measure in the 6.5 - 11.5V range and it's impossible to give you a definitive answer.

It's highly likely that you could use it without any problems, but there are only two ways to be certain it won't damage your camera: one is to use a safe sync, and the other is to use an off-camera wireless trigger.

08-06-2015, 04:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's highly likely that you could use it without any problems, but there are only two ways to be certain it won't damage your camera: one is to use a safe sync, and the other is to use an off-camera wireless trigger.
3rd Way: measure the trigger voltage
08-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
3rd Way: measure the trigger voltage
This is not as easy as one might think. Just looking at a connected voltmeter is unlikely to render the correct voltage. You'd need an oscilloscope for that.