Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks you friends for Great advise.

Condition is tiger forest, is quite dark. As Jeep safaris are in early morning on evening. F/2.8 is always the preferrence. Due to dense forest, Tiger is the difficult animal to observe through the lens. But i will try my best.

For Landscape i saw the sample images of 12-24mm F/2.8-4.0 and 15mm F/4. All looks stunning.

I have also visited number of Melbourne stores as mentioned above. But sales people are always talk you out of Pentax and direct you towards Canon or Nikon.
I might have to use Amazon or Andorama websites to order this. Will they cover International warranty?

You also mentioned that all the previous pentax lenses will work with K3. Does it mean that all Lens features will work like auto-focusing etc. What should i look for in market place for K3 compatibility? I am happy to purchase some of these lenses from Marketplace if they are in good condition and seller is ready to ship it to Melbourne, Australia.

1.4x converter which some of you have proposed will increase the focal length. Will it have any impact of F-stops?

Thanking you again for sharing your experience with me. Have a nice weekend.

08-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Explain very calmly but firmly to the sales people you are there to buy Pentax and that's all there is to it. Complain to the manager or owner, quoting poor and obstructive service if they fail to assist you.

1.4X converter will cost you one f stop. 2x will cost you two. 3x (rare in AF if it even exists) will cost you three, and in my experience the image quality degrades so far with 3x that the pics are almost not worth having.
08-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K3 works with every autofocus lens except for the very first monster which has an external motor. Essentially any F, FA, DA, D FA, DA* etc.

It will also work with all of the manual focus lenses.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 09:19 PM ----------

Honestly given the Tiger forest I think you need to rent a K3 and test the lenses you want to use and decide if the low light focusing and high iso performance work for you. The modern digital cameras can do pretty amazing stuff. As far as lenses - I'd look at the 70-200 f/2.8 of your choice. Is 200 on full frame long enough? If yes, then consider the DA* 50-135 f/2.8 - it is a great lens and essentially it is the 70-200 f/2.8 of APSC. If you really need f/2.8 and longer than 200mm on Full Frame then your options are very limited and expensive. Pentax 300 f/2.8's are rare as hen's teeth and expensive.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-06-2015 at 06:22 PM.
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Except for professionals, I would suggest FF is more important if you are into wide lenses, and especially if you already have FF wide lenses. Telephoto is possibly easier/fine with current cropped sensor dslrs.

08-07-2015, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amazing_universe Quote
You also mentioned that all the previous pentax lenses will work with K3. Does it mean that all Lens features will work like auto-focusing etc. What should i look for in market place for K3 compatibility? I am happy to purchase some of these lenses from Marketplace if they are in good condition and seller is ready to ship it to Melbourne, Australia.
All lenses UncleVanya listed can be fully controlled by the camera - including Autofocus
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Essentially any F, FA, DA, D FA, DA*
Manual Focus lenses are K, M, A and M42 lenses (For M42 an adapter is needed).
With K, M and M42 lenses you can't controll your aperture with the camera, how to use this lenses is explained here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
With SMC Pentax-A lenses you can controll the aperture with the camera you just have to focus manually (Samyang lenses have the KA mount and work like Pentax-A lenses, for other 3rd party lens manufacturers you have to check for every lens if it has a K (all manual), KA (aperture controlled from the camera) or KAF/KAF2 mount (Autofocus included / all current lenses from Tamron and Sigma).

K, M, A and M42 lenses don't tell the camera what focal length they have so you have to insert this information manually or your Image Stabilization System won't work correctly.
08-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yearly visit to Tiger forest - why do you only list Pentax lenses? You could also consider the Sigma 70_200 f2.8 paired with the 1.4 Pentax teleconverter. That would give you 70-200at f2.8, which would be OK to crop. Also you would have 98-280 at f4, which is in some ways more useful than the 60-250.

You also avoid any worries about SDM failure, the focusing on the Sigma might be faster, and the teleconverter goes well with the 100 macro to give a 140 f4 macro, also very useful.

I have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8, which is very good value, but if I were a tiger I would run away scared by the noise it makes while focusing!
08-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As is being well explained, there is great backwards compatibility and practical functioning with Pentax. One other aspect to mention is the two different types of autofocus system ... Again, both available side be side with Pentax DSLRs.

The older type of autofocus system is called 'screwdrive', and was introduced with the F series lenses, I think in the later '80's. This system uses a drive motor within the camera body, connecting mechanically to the lens. It is accurate and fairly fast (depending mainly on the lens and its focus throw), although can be a bit noisy. The budget and mid range DA lenses use screwdrive to this day.

The more expensive modern lenses use the newer SDM system (Sonic Drive Motor) which uses hyper -sonic technologies within the lenses to focus, sometimes faster but always more quietly than screwdrive. (the Canon and Sigma versions of this technology are known as USM and HSM).

Just recently the newest Pentax lens releases use a new type of in-lens af motor, called DC for Direct Current. Supposed to be more reliable, faster and quieter again! I don't think there's a lot of user feedback yet on how these latest motors perform .

08-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

There is a DC motor in the 18-135, which I own, and the first few times I used it I found myself looking at the lens in surprise, wondering if it had actually done anything. It's very quiet and speedy when focusing.
08-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Is that a new version of that lens? I thought the 18-135 had been around for a while? In any case, sounds very promising af performance!
08-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

18-135 has been a DC lens since the first time it was released.
08-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ok thanks 😊
08-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. I am more confident now in attempting pentax this time. I will post some pictures by end of september if everything goes as per the plan.

Meanwhile if there is any pentax camera ebook exist than pls share the link. I will read it through.
Have a nice week.
08-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. I am more confident now in attempting pentax this time. I will post some pictures by end of september if everything goes as per the plan.

Meanwhile if there is any pentax camera ebook exist than pls share the link. I will read it through.
Have a nice week.

Yep, a forum member writes and sells them. I've got his K-30 book:

#pentaxebook
09-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanking you friends.

Just ordered Pentax K3 II, 15mm ED F/4 and Samyang 14mm F/2.8 to start with.
Looking forward to your guidence.
10-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanking you friends.

Just ordered Pentax K3 II, 15mm ED F/4 and Samyang 14mm F/2.8 to start with.
Looking forward to your guidence.
Well done!, congratulations.