Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amazing_universe Quote
- Wildlife photography ( Yearly visit to Tiger forest) - Pentax DA* - 60-250mm F4 SDM (I should wait for for another 10 months - 70-200 f/2.8?)n-do.html
The new DFA 150-450 is the lens for wildlife. If you do get the 60-250, get the 1.4 TC to go with it.

QuoteQuote:
- Portrait & Landscape photos - To complement my bush walking hobby - Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
The Tamron 17-50 will save you some money. My bushwhacking lens is the 18-135, which also does pseudo macro.

QuoteQuote:
- Portrait & Macro photos - To complement my bush walking hobby - Pentax SMC DFA 100mm F2.8 MACRO (What's the difference between DA and DFA?)
The two other options for macro are the Sigma 70 macro and Tamron 90 macro, both excellent lenses. I like the Sigma 70 macro as it can double as a portrait lens.

10-02-2015, 02:21 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanking you friends.

Just ordered Pentax K3 II, 15mm ED F/4 and Samyang 14mm F/2.8 to start with.
Looking forward to your guidence.
Cool,
personally,
I shoot primes (da15, fa31 & da70 (awesome little portrait lens...)
& i plan to add a 16-85 WR one day just for when i need the WR & hiking where IQ is not crucial.

On long reach i have 55-300, which i find great for the money. especially second hand. You could pick one up & try that out, while saving & making a decision for a more expensive alternative on the long end...

just to add some more ideas :-) there is so much choice..
10-02-2015, 03:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The coming pentax 70-200/2.8 would be nice for the tiger shooting conditions you describe (sharp when needing 2.8-3.5)....... I would probally be using my Sigma 70-200/2.8 for that rather then the DFA150-450 which needs lots of light.

K3 and Sigma at f3.2, iso2500 and 180mm (270mm equiv)

Last edited by noelpolar; 10-02-2015 at 03:51 AM.
10-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks friends for all the suggestions. I will surely keep your lens suggestion in mind.
Camera has arrived and Lens will be arriving in next 2-days.

Read the Pentax K3 ii manual briefly and overwhelmed by amount of settings option. I will take 1 step at a time and explore full capability in due course. I normally calculate following prior to taking a picture, pls let me know if you have better suggestions.
- WB
- ISO
- Metering mode (Spot or Multi)
- A value for desired effect
- HDR On or Off (use tripod if kept ON)
- Object to focus in the frame

Thanks in advance.

10-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- WB (auto works very well on the k3)
- ISO (set to the range you want and use auto at least at first)
- Metering mode (Spot or Multi) (can be done easily)
- A value for desired effect (????)
- HDR On or Off (use tripod if kept ON)
- Object to focus in the frame (focus point selection is reasonably easy)
10-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax K3ii and Samyang 14mm - First shots

Hello Friends,

Thanking you for the great advise. I need your help again.

Took the delivery of Pentax K3ii and Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens has arrived.

First impression of Pentax K3ii is.... a solid built camera. Impressive. Also love the noise of shutter release button.
First impression of Samyang 14mm is... Heavy lens. build quality looks good.

Now i want to check both these items are performing well. Before i take them on overseas tour. So arrived early today from office. Follow the instructions came with Samyang lens.

- Pentax K3ii - Focus is set to Manual focus
- Dial is set to Av priority
- Samyang lens - Aperture ring is set on A
- In Pentax K3ii menu option; disable the use of Lens Aperture ring. (By default it is disable)
- Mounted the lens (It took longtime to find a orange dot on samyang lens)
- Power on the camera. It is prompting for the focal length. Selected 15mm.
- went to the backyard and took following shots. Full size images are loaded at following link. Experts pls review these photos and confirm that quality of both the items are good and no replacement is needed.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103082732295705365442/PentaxK3iiSamyang14mmComb...eat=directlink

Each time, i power-off and power-on the Camera, it prompts me for the focal length selection. Is it normal? Should i continue with this? Or there is anyway, i can disable this prompt? I have read various websites on the topic. But no clear answer on this.

Thanking you so much for your support.
Best Regds

Last edited by amazing_universe; 10-13-2015 at 02:54 AM.
10-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
- Pentax K3ii - Focus is set to Manual focus
not necessary, for a manual focus lens it makes no difference if it is on or off, just for af lenses important
- In Pentax K3ii menu option; disable the use of Lens Aperture ring. (By default it is disable)
i enabled this option, for general use it makes no difference either, but if you ever want to use lenses without "A" setting you might not remember this setting and search forever for the problem why you can't take a picture.
Each time, i power-off and power-on the Camera, it prompts me for the focal length selection. Is it normal? Should i continue with this? Or there is anyway, i can disable this prompt?
yes it is normal, the camera can't tell if you have changed the lens or not so it asks you. i sometimes forget to turn the camera off before changing the lens, then i have to set the new focal length in the menu, almost everytime after i took a bunch of pictures because i forget about it. if you only have one manual lens it might become annoying, but i actually like this feature. at least it remembers the last used focal lenght so you just have to push "ok".
you can also skip this menu by slightly pushing the shutter release button after turning the camera on.

Last edited by othar; 10-13-2015 at 02:08 AM.
10-13-2015, 02:24 AM   #38

+1 for the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, yes it is louder then the Sigma HSM lens but it's also a lot more expensive.
10-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Experts pls review these photos and confirm that quality of both the items are good and no replacement is needed.
i only can access the small previews so i can't help you there, but maybe you should start a new thread for this question.
i think you would get more response because it would be seen on the front page under "latest discussions" if you make a new one.

regards patrick
10-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Patrick, New Thread is created. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/305807-p...pressions.html