Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 01:19 AM   #1

K3 Multi exposure triggering

When I select Multiple Exposure from the K3 drive menu, I can select composite mode and the number
of photos to be taken. I can select shutter, timer or remote to trigger that sequence of exposures.

If I configure the camera to say, take 5 exposures, should I be expecting the camera to
rattle off those 5 exposures one after the other following a single press of the shutter or remote,
per the option selected. Or, should I expect to trigger each successive exposure using that method, i.e.
press the shutter or remote after each exposure in the sequence of 5 exposures.

The manual doesn't explain the way it works and I was sort of expecting one trigger to fire all exposures.
Can someone please advise.

08-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

If you enable "one-push bracketing" in menu C2 the camera will rattle off all the frames in quick succession. If not you will have to release the shutter once for each exposure.

It is described on page 49 in the user manual.
08-06-2015, 03:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
If you enable "one-push bracketing" in menu C2 the camera will rattle off all the frames in quick succession. If not you will have to release the shutter once for each exposure.

It is described on page 49 in the user manual.
As it happens, I already had one-push bracketing enabled.

My K3 wants me to press the shutter for each exposure so either I have a faulty camera or there is another setting that affects this or I don't understand how multi-exposure is supposed to work. I have read pg 49 and I don't see a reference to any other options to control this (including "one-push bracketing").

The way my camera behaves, it looks like it is deliberately waiting for input after each shot so I imagine it is to enable one to stage the next shot. For example, if you were doing some sort of animation you could take a shot, move figures around, take the next shot and so on. I'm trying to talk myself into my camera behaving as designed.
08-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by duetto96 Quote
The way my camera behaves, it looks like it is deliberately waiting for input after each shot so I imagine it is to enable one to stage the next shot. For example, if you were doing some sort of animation you could take a shot, move figures around, take the next shot and so on. I'm trying to talk myself into my camera behaving as designed.

Rest easy, that's exactly the way it's supposed to work. One push bracketing only affects bracketing.

08-06-2015, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Multi exposure and bracketing are different beasts. I hope this isn't too simplistic an explanation:

Multi exposure is where you set an interval between camera triggers and number of shots, and you need the interval to outweigh the length of the shot otherwise you'll be hopelessly confusing the camera. Ie if you set the interval as 1 second but the shot length is 5 seconds then the camera is trying to take shots whilst it's still shooting the 5s shot. The thing to remember is that it's the interval, not the difference / delta / wait after.

Bracketing and the functions associated with it is where you take a series of exposures at slightly different light levels in order to make sure that at least one is spot on. So in other words you're shooting 5, one over, one a bit over, one on, one slightly under and one under. These are done one after the other.

Both of these features are documented in your handbook much better than I could do here without a cam right now. Just be aware that there are parameters and options to check any of which can easily be missed so I'd persevere and try and have a good read through the manual.

Best,

-Johan
08-06-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Rest easy, that's exactly the way it's supposed to work. One push bracketing only affects bracketing.
You are correct. I read "multi exposure" as "bracketing", sorry.
08-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
Great, thanks for those answers.

Excluding Interval ME (because 'I think' I have that nailed), I have one more ME related question you can also help me with. I don't think what I'm asking is possible but thought it would help with my understanding of the different ME composite modes.

If I wanted to make a composite of two identical exposures of a scene but where an item in that scene changed position between shots in order to appear twice, is this possible to achieve within camera. I have played around with 'average', 'additive' and 'bright'. I can understand why 'average' leaves the moving item under exposed/ghosted out compared to the non moving part of the scene. I just wondered if (and if so, how) you could achieve this in-camera, with two correctly exposed items in a correctly exposed scene.

Oh, and BTW, I have read the manual end to end but it only makes sense if you know what some of this stuff means in the first place.
08-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
Someone's got it wrong?

FYI, I asked Ricoh the same question (prior to asking it on this forum), they have just responded with the opposite of what the forum has stated.

I trust the experts on the forum but Ricoh are saying a single shutter release should take all the exposures in Multiple Exposure composite mode. Ricoh response below:

Thank you for contacting Ricoh Imaging.
When Multiple Exposure mode is activated on K-3 camera and the composite mode and the number of photos to be take are set then the camera takes that number of photos at singe press of shutter release button. If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center.

Sincerely,
Ricoh Imaging Technical Support

Tel: 0207-949-0059.

08-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
Banned

I think the Ricoh rep has confused multi exposure with bracketing or HDR (which does fire off 3 shots with one press), either that or both my K3 and K30 (and my K20 before that) have the same issue with multi exposure shooting in that you need to release the shutter for each exposure in the set. The most common use of multi exposure is to re-compose between shots for a desired effect, "rapid fire" shutter release would negate that ability.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-07-2015 at 05:01 AM.
08-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone's got it wrong?
Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I suppose someone (me perhaps?) could simply take a K-3 and see how it works? Give me a few minutes...

Steve
08-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Give me a few minutes...
...the few minutes are up!

What I found is if you choose Multiple Exposure, you have four options:
  • Plain (you take the photos as needed)
  • Continuous (one press, held down, takes all). This is the behavior regardless of how one-push bracketing is configured.
  • Self-timer (Like plain except that you have a delay before each exposure)
  • Remote (Like plain only using the wireless remote)
All four variations are listed in the user manual, though there is no detailed explanation of how each should work. I confirmed the behavior of each option just now with my K-3 (firmware v1.11).

So, to address the OP's question...

If I configure the camera to say, take 5 exposures, should I be expecting the camera to
rattle off those 5 exposures one after the other following a single press of the shutter or remote,
per the option selected. Or, should I expect to trigger each successive exposure using that method, i.e.
press the shutter or remote after each exposure in the sequence of 5 exposures.
You would expect the camera to do a single exposure for each shutter press unless you configured to use continuous mode. In which case, you must hold the shutter down to take all as a burst.

Steve
08-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I just wondered if (and if so, how) you could achieve this in-camera, with two correctly exposed items in a correctly exposed scene.
I don't believe this can be done in-camera. What you are asking the camera to do is to read your mind as to which element in the frame is your subject and apply a mask. The camera is able to do this to a limited degree, but only when there is a significant difference in brightness between the subject and the rest of the frame.

Steve
08-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Banned

could simply take a K-3 and see how it works

Yup, shoulda done this myself!

you have four options

Had forgotten M/E was moved from a menu item (K30, K20) to drive mode on the K3. Does that make me only 1/2 wrong???
08-07-2015, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

The camera is able to do this to a limited degree, but only when there is a significant difference in brightness between the subject and the rest of the frame.
This feature got me thinking. With carefully focused flash and manual exposure it may be possible to do an additive composite balancing the flash exposure against the ambient light. For example:
  • Provide the flash with some sort of nozzle
  • Set the flash on manual
  • Set the aperture appropriate for a single flash exposure
  • Set the the composite to be based on 4 additive exposures
  • Set the shutter speed for 2 stops under exposed
  • Move the subject for each of the four exposure with the flash on the subject alone
This will provide four base images with the subject properly exposed and the rest of the frame 2 stops underexposed (1/4 the light). On the additive merge things might even out.

-- OR --

You could do something similar using a "bright" composite and setting the flash exposure to 2 stops over.

-- OR --

You could simply do it in Photoshop...

Steve

(...notice that I did not actually try any of the above...not my use case...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-07-2015 at 08:00 PM.
08-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #15

Original Poster
Folks, Thanks for your interest and wisdom on this. I think, with the possible exclusion of Ricoh support, we are now all in agreement of how ME actually works.