Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF-540FGZII Misfires

I have been having problems with the Flash often not firing, even with fresh batteries and waiting over a minute between attempts. Precision returned it with a note that they had done a complete repair of contacts and returned to factory specs. Same problem. However, I discovered this morning that if I do not tighten the "Fix" lever the flash fires properly almost every time. It fits fairly tightly in the shoe even with the lever is open. This is clearly not an acceptable solution and there are still occasional misfires. Does anyone have experience with this issue? I have had the same results with the K-3, K-3ii and K-01.

08-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you mean that you have to leave the Fix lever completely loose, or that it is over enough to hold but just not tightened?
08-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have been having problems with the Flash often not firing, even with fresh batteries and waiting over a minute between attempts. Precision returned it with a note that they had done a complete repair of contacts and returned to factory specs. Same problem. However, I discovered this morning that if I do not tighten the "Fix" lever the flash fires properly almost every time. It fits fairly tightly in the shoe even with the lever is open. This is clearly not an acceptable solution and there are still occasional misfires. Does anyone have experience with this issue? I have had the same results with the K-3, K-3ii and K-01.
The 'Fix' lever pushes a rubber mat down to seal and fix it in the hotshoe. Maybe it is deflecting one of the pins or one of the pins is getting pulled away from contact.
08-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The 'Fix' lever pushes a rubber mat down to seal and fix it in the hotshoe. Maybe it is deflecting one of the pins or one of the pins is getting pulled away from contact.
Yes, that is what I have been thinking but I can't figure out how to test. I thought about putting some color on the pins to see if they do not make contact but that seems a bit risky. Thanks for the input.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 12:20 PM ----------

It continues to be very random whether the fix is set or not. One thing I have not mentioned is that the ready light is almost always on. Sometimes it goes off after a shot but most of the time is either stays on or is on again immediately. That does not mean that the flash is ready to fire. Just to be sure I put my old Af 360FGZ on the camera and it fires with complete reliability as long as the ready light is lit which occurs quickly after each shot.

08-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three words:

Send

It

Back

Alternatively, contact Ricoh requesting they replace rather than repair.

Steve
08-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stevebrot,

Yes you are right but I did that once without success. I was hoping there might be something I could do short of that. I think I will contact Ricoh first.