Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Battery management

Hi,
Just getting started and learned right away I'll have to put some thought into battery management with my new K50. This is my first DSLR. Out of the box I threw the battery on the charger and then loaded up the AA adapter with some run of the mill AA's. With learning the camera and browsing the menus and trying all the different features those lasted for about a dozen pictures. Now that my battery is charged up we'll see how I do with that and I'll definitely have to pick up some lithium AA's for backup.

I did not buy the overpriced AC adapter but can see how that would be a huge saver for when I'm working on things at home so maybe I can justify the $89 retail price vs. AA's. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the knock off AC adapters I see for half the price.

What do others here do? AC adapter, more AA's, second rechargable?

Looking forward to your opinions.

08-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of us don't use run of the mill AA's we use rechargeable Eneloops. I have 16 of these batteries and I get more shots using them than using the Li-on battery.
08-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Stick to rechargeable batteries, something like Eneloops, if you want to use AAs. They last much longer than normal alcalines.

Having a spare d-li109 is probably a good idea. I have several spares for my K-5/K-3, but then they can't use AAs without the battery grip.
08-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As you've already experienced alkaline don't work too well. The OEM batteries are good and many knockoffs are decent and cheap. For AA batteries get the end loop rechargeable. I like to keep a set of lithium AA for an emergency backup, they will last longer than anything else, but of course you have to throw them away.

08-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sanyo Eneloops rechargeable's for your AA needs. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B003VL...=sanya+eneloop
08-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Amazon makes rechargeable as well. I've found they are identical to Envelops and cheaper:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics AA Rechargeable Batteries (16-Pack): Electronics
08-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have 16 of these batteries and I get more shots using them than using the Li-on battery.
You mean with one set of eneloops you get more than the Li-on.

08-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Excellent advice. Order has been placed. Now back to shooting.....
08-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
You mean with one set of eneloops you get more than the Li-on
Yes, that's what I mean.
08-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joebarfly Quote
Thanks everyone. Excellent advice. Order has been placed. Now back to shooting....
You're welcome, and back to shooting's a good idea too.
08-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use one original Pentax battery and one Wasabi and I have the AA adapter for use with Ni-MH rechargeable AA's. I get close to the same number of shots from all - and depending on how many flash shots you have my use allows a week of casual shooting on a single battery / aa pack. I use Lithium non-rechargeable AA's as a backup power source for emergencies as well.
08-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wasabi replacement batteries rock.

AAs weigh too much to use except in a pinch.
08-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by joebarfly Quote
Hi,
Just getting started and learned right away I'll have to put some thought into battery management with my new K50. This is my first DSLR. Out of the box I threw the battery on the charger and then loaded up the AA adapter with some run of the mill AA's. With learning the camera and browsing the menus and trying all the different features those lasted for about a dozen pictures. Now that my battery is charged up we'll see how I do with that and I'll definitely have to pick up some lithium AA's for backup.

I did not buy the overpriced AC adapter but can see how that would be a huge saver for when I'm working on things at home so maybe I can justify the $89 retail price vs. AA's. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the knock off AC adapters I see for half the price.

What do others here do? AC adapter, more AA's, second rechargable?

Looking forward to your opinions.
Besides rechargeable AA's, typically NiMH, do yourself a favor and get a real charger. I have two dozen Powerex AA's for my flashes and a dozen AAA's for my triggers. Night before a shoot, they all go through one of these Powerex 8 Cell Charger Flashes EAT batteries and my triggers have to work. I'm sure there are other good brands but this one I know works. Don't go cheap with the charger.
08-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Besides rechargeable AA's, typically NiMH, do yourself a favor and get a real charger. I have two dozen Powerex AA's for my flashes and a dozen AAA's for my triggers. Night before a shoot, they all go through one of these Powerex 8 Cell Charger Flashes EAT batteries and my triggers have to work. I'm sure there are other good brands but this one I know works. Don't go cheap with the charger.
Out of curiosity, what does the $61 charger have that these less expensive chargers from the same maker lack?

Powerex MH-C204FA AA / AAA NiMH or NiCD Battery Charger

Powerex MH-C800S 8-Cell Smart Charger for AA / AAA NiMH MH-C800S

For users like the OP, the options are AA vs. dedicated Li ion. The price for eight Eneloop + a high end charger can buy you a handful of Wasabi.

Steve
08-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, what does the $61 charger have that these less expensive chargers from the same maker lack?

Powerex MH-C204FA AA / AAA NiMH or NiCD Battery Charger

Powerex MH-C800S 8-Cell Smart Charger for AA / AAA NiMH MH-C800S

For users like the OP, the options are AA vs. dedicated Li ion. The price for eight Eneloop + a high end charger can buy you a handful of Wasabi.

Steve
1. Model C801 ( $61) has 8 cells, twice the 4 cell C204 ($22.95). The C801 has an AA charge time 1 hour vs 2-4 hours of the C204.

2. Model C801 ($61) has a rapid charge time of 1 hr and soft charge time of 2 hours. Model C800s ( $39.95) has a rapid charge time of 1-2 hours and a soft charge time of 3-4 hours.

I have a lot of batteries so time adds up.

Never used AA's in my Pentax bodies or Wasabi batteries so I can't comment on either application. Out the door for a shoot, I've 5 Pentax D-L190's and they've been working well since 2011.

My intention was to recommend that if you're going to use rechargeable AA's, a good charger will pay you back long after the price is forgotten. AA's are almost universal in flashes, its a common requirement. AAA's are very common in remote camera and flash triggers. Typical photographer uses.

I threw away enough cheapo AA & AAA chargers over the years to more than pay for the MAHA, even it was just for household use. The cheapo's were wasted money Though I'd share my experience and maybe save some of the headaches of my experience. There are times when it makes sense to spend more up front