Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

SDHC or SDXC

Hello: I have a Pentax K-5 and K-3, and am wondering if the SDXC memory card will work on these cameras? Also what is the difference between the two? I was going to purchase the San Disk 64 SDXC but wasn't sure if it would be compatible in my cameras.
Thank-you

08-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Hi,
I'm not sure about the technical difference between SDHC and SDXC, but SDHC has a limit of 32G, so if you want 64, is has to be SDXC.
I myself have a Sandisk micro SDXC of 64G in my k30, and that works well. For your k-3 it should not be a problem, for de K-5 maybe. Make sure you get the latest firmware if it doesn't work, this helped for me one time on a SDHC.

Also: I have the SDXC logo embossed in the card cover, so check your user manuals, or just your camera's.
08-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey69 Quote
Hello: I have a Pentax K-5 and K-3, and am wondering if the SDXC memory card will work on these cameras? Also what is the difference between the two? I was going to purchase the San Disk 64 SDXC but wasn't sure if it would be compatible in my cameras.
Thank-you
SDXC cards are fully supported so yes

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey69 Quote
Thank-you
Been using SanDisk & Samsung 64 GB SDXC cards in K5 & K5IIS body for a couple of years. There was a firmware upgrade for K5's that enabled SDXC support so if your current, you're good to go.

SDXC is simply an extension of the SDHC specs. SDHC was limited to 32 GB, SDXC has a 2 TB limit.

I'm one of those guys who waits for prices to settle down on new stuff, started with SanDisk Ultra SDXC1 64GB cards. I still have & use them but upgraded to Samsung 64GB Pro which are much faster. It was a Black Friday deal. The San Disk Extreme Pro would be the closest performer and a few bucks more.

Been shooting Pentax DSLRs since 2007, 7 bodies and used 8 & 16 GB Transcend Class 10's plus the SanDisk & Samsung mentioned above. Never had a card die on me. Probably 450K shutter clicks. I do refornat in camera before every shoot, after the previous shoot is on two hard drives.