Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

flu card 0-fc1 'crashes' when opend on pc

When I insert my fluc card (Pentax 0-fc) and instantly open it to browse the files, the thumbnails will begin to load, but then cease to do so once the card starts to beep (all though appears to be loading at very slow rate).. In these circumstances it will emit the default network connection name (pentax_FluCard_Wifi), which i can connect to and browse saved images with via my browser.

But the card will then stop emitting the signal, and subsequently my computer will no longer recognize the card as being present. I can eject the card, (although it recognizes it as a broadcom device ?). I only have one pc at my disposable to try it in as i am abroad, although It did work fine in my friends mac book a while ago.

In summary: Want to retrieve in bulk images from Pentax flu card via pc but can't.

I am still new to this card so any recommendation are appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Other points : When the card is in my camera it works just fine remotely. I have not been able to use the flu card download app (wich starts loading thubmnails and then fails part way through). I also purchased a micro hdmi to hdmi cable to connect to the k-s1 but the pc did not recognize the camera, although these are not my main concern.

08-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about the USB cable?
08-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are a variety of troubleshooting steps you could take, but I think the easiest would be to try a different card reader. My desktop's internal card reader didn't like the flucard either, so I used an external one and that solved the problem. You could also disable the card's wireless to temporarily make it act like a conventional card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
I think ill have to try and buy a USB cable ramsey. If my camera came with one then i must of left it back home.

@Adam i turned the flu card's wireless off in my camera, and that worked fine. But when I put it into my pc it still tried to emit a signal. Is there a step I am missing or some software i should download ? I might have to wait till i can get back home where all my equipment is and pinpoint the problem

Thanks for the responses : )

08-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

I've had the similar issue as I've indicated in other threads. My flucard won't allow itself to be read as a USB storage device. Similar as op: turn wifi off in camera, put card into card reader on pc, card beeps, then shuts down. Tried the card with an external card reader connected to pc, same result. Even connected card reader to my BlackBerry, same result. I've searched the net for a solution and can't find one. I've given up. Only solution is to connect camera straight to PC or BlackBerry, tablet, etc.
That being said, wireless functions work great.
08-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Sabbalonn Quote
I think ill have to try and buy a USB cable ramsey. If my camera came with one then i must of left it back home.

@Adam i turned the flu card's wireless off in my camera, and that worked fine. But when I put it into my pc it still tried to emit a signal. Is there a step I am missing or some software i should download ? I might have to wait till i can get back home where all my equipment is and pinpoint the problem

Thanks for the responses : )
When you access the card over wi-fi, is there an option to disable automatic startup of the wireless feature under the settings tab?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
I've searched the net for a solution and can't find one. I've given up.
i too was surprised by how little i could find concerning this issue; the first few days i just spent browsing forums and came up with very little directly related to the problem. I am not sure if this is a new problem (though somehow not version-specific) , or perhaps that this card does not often get used in a card reader and this problem is not highlighted. There was also some firmware, but unfortunately I could not install that.

Ill try to see if i can turn the wireless off @Adam and see if the yields any results.

Thanks for the replies : )

---------- Post added 08-16-15 at 07:48 AM ----------

I managed to turn the wifi off via the settings in the browser; rather silly that it never occurred to me. Regardless it allows me to view the images perfectly ! Thanks a bunch; i have lots of embarrassing photos of people to upload as a result : )
08-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #8

How did you manage to turn off wifi in the browser? I can't see that option.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sabbalonn Quote
i too was surprised by how little i could find concerning this issue; the first few days i just spent browsing forums and came up with very little directly related to the problem. I am not sure if this is a new problem (though somehow not version-specific) , or perhaps that this card does not often get used in a card reader and this problem is not highlighted. There was also some firmware, but unfortunately I could not install that.

Ill try to see if i can turn the wireless off @Adam and see if the yields any results.

Thanks for the replies : )

---------- Post added 08-16-15 at 07:48 AM ----------

I managed to turn the wifi off via the settings in the browser; rather silly that it never occurred to me. Regardless it allows me to view the images perfectly ! Thanks a bunch; i have lots of embarrassing photos of people to upload as a result : )

08-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well its very strange actually, and unfortunately throws up another problem; my flucard appears to be able to emit two SSID, along with two sets of pass codes and so on. (Maybe this is normal ?) I have configured separate settings for my flucard via the browser. One when it is in my camera and anohter when it is plugged into the card reader on my pc! Using windows explorer to open the card when it is in my pc will cause both the signal to drop and the card to crash.

When accessing via chrome when in my pc, there is an additional option (not visible when it is in my camera) that determines whether wireless capability is automatic or not. Unfortunately this setting does not 'stick', and will turn itself back on once I reinsert the card after ejecting it.

After persisting, there was no wireless and no beeping (still in the pc card reader here). However i was still unable to browse the files, as explorer had crashed, albeit after a little more time then when the wirless is enabled.

It is very perplexing indeed and I can't say if this is poor design or poor operation on my part.