Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Do I have a power problem??

My less than 1 year old K500 seems to have a very finicky appetite for batteries. I use AA alkalines, which I prefer, but for whatever reason, the camera has always indicated that the batteries need replacing when the individual cell voltage is still way up there at 1.447 volts. This is still a good battery as far as I'm concerned, and I reuse these (dead) batteries in other applications.
Do any of you experience a similar issue or do I possibly have a valid problem that needs to be addressed?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter

Bernd

08-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally best results have been with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable. As I understand it they work better in high drain devices like DSLR camera because they are able to maintain the voltage right up until they die. Other battery chemistries seem to show a voltage drop as they drain and that makes the camera think they are dead. That is a layman explanation not the techy details.

Anyway, get a couple sets of Eneloops and a good charger. Less than $25 at Costco and you quickly recoup the cost in reusing the batteries. I have Eneloops I bought for my k-x in 2010 that still work just fine, so you will get a lot of use from them.
08-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Yeah, the voltage in alkaline batteries drops pretty fast. Easily visible with a flashlight. For the first few minutes everything will be fine but after a while the flashlight is going to get a little dimmer. Turn it off and on again and it'll be fine....for a while.
08-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alkalines just don't perform well with DSLRs. As stated before the eneloops will save you money, and also the much more expensive than alkaline, lithiums will cost less in the long run. I use a mix of OEM batteries, OEM style third party clones, eneloops, and like to keep a pack of lithiums for backup. On a recent trip I loaded the K-30 with lithiums and used it for three days and around 800 exposures, then for more days of lighter use. When they no longer power the camera they will go for a couple more months in a computer mouse (at least as long as a new alkaline).

08-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK Thanks very much for that info.
I will look into the options you mentioned.
Bernd