Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

'Lines' on image.

Hi guys - I'm an inexperienced K-30 user (though I longer used an ME Super). I seem to have acquired some weird lines on my images (there's one in the centre and two on the bottom right-hand corner). I have no way of knowing what caused this (though I was at an agricultural show today and did change lenses on a number of occasions). I have the dust removal option turned on to run on start-up. It certainly doesn't look like dust-spots. I have run it on multiple occasions since I spotted the problem and it hasn't helped. Might be small hairs, but seem too transparent. I haven't tried to clean the sensor manually as I wouldn't feel able to do that. Any thought from an experienced users would be appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust on the sensor, which is just part of life with a DSLR. There are many, many threads on the subject here on the forums for advice. The usual way to get rid of it is to blow it off with a Giottos Rocker Blower. You can fix your photos by editing out the dust spot with the clone or healing tool in your photo editior.
08-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust spots. or in this case small fibers or hair.

Do you have the dust removal system set to run on startup? If not turn that on. Try running the dust removal function several times manually then take a test shot to see if they are gone. Best test shot is stopped down at f/16 or so and shoot a blue sky.

If the on board dust removal system does not help then you might have to manually clean the sensor. Do that with a dust blower first, no canned air. Or have it cleaned professionally.
08-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. On-board dust removal is enabled but hasn't shifted it. I'll pick up and dust-blower and see if that does the trick.

08-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust removal procedure in order:
  1. Use the camera dust removal system. There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and I think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
  2. Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances but YMMV. You have to lift the mirror in order to do this. Use the cleaning function in the menu.
  3. Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
  4. Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.

Easiest way to check for dust is to set your aperture to f/22 or so and take an image of the sky. Dust on the sensor is more visible at smaller apertures.
08-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Dust on the sensor
Poppy cock! That is a flying snake. They are attracted to digital image sensors.

Steve
08-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are attracted to digital image sensors.
I thought the flying snakes were only attracted to Canon sensors........

08-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I thought the flying snakes were only attracted to Canon sensors........
No, that is where they breed.

Steve
08-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, that is where they breed.
So we should keep a distance from any Canon sensors to avoid contamination? OP must have got too close..............
08-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
Dust removal procedure in order:
  1. Use the camera dust removal system. There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and I think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
  2. Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances but YMMV. You have to lift the mirror in order to do this. Use the cleaning function in the menu.
  3. Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
  4. Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.

Easiest way to check for dust is to set your aperture to f/22 or so and take an image of the sky. Dust on the sensor is more visible at smaller apertures.
Thanks a lot for that detailed list Jatrax; it's much appreciated.

I already have dust removal enabled on StartUp - so point one is ticked off.

I don't have a rocket blower, but one's ordered - so point two ticked off, too.

And hopefully that will get me through this. Thanks again for your advice.

---------- Post added 08-13-15 at 02:24 PM ----------

So we should keep a distance from any Canon sensors to avoid contamination? OP must have got too close..............
I did see a lot of Canons so one of these snakes must have jumped. Will keep further away from them in future!

---------- Post added 08-13-15 at 02:25 PM ----------

Poppy cock! That is a flying snake. They are attracted to digital image sensors.

Steve
And that's what I thought too!
08-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Careful! jatrax says "you have to lift the mirror to do this". YOU should definitely not lift the mirror, use the mirror lock up option in the menus instead, before using a rocket blower.
08-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Careful! jatrax says "you have to lift the mirror to do this". YOU should definitely not lift the mirror, use the mirror lock up option in the menus instead, before using a rocket blower.
Correct. Except it is called "Sensor Cleaning" under the tools>4 menu. Mirror lock-up is different and is under the drive mode menu.