Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

K30 has stopped working!!

Hello all,

I have a K30 that I have used over the past 3 years. A couple of days ago, it began to have trouble focusing and I began to switch to MF. Then, while spending time in some light rain (with a WR lens attached) the screen went blank. I brought it inside and did my best to dry it out by opening all of the ports... I have put in fully charged batteries and also tried different lenses, but the camera will not take a photo. It appears to try, but the screen remains black as if I still had the lens cap attached (it is not!).

Any words of wisdom?? I'm not sure what part of the camera is not working if it wants to take the picture, but only comes out as black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

08-15-2015, 04:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Bit confused - you say the screen is black and camera tries but does not take a photo, than that it comes out black. So just for clarification - it won't take a photo at all?

Assuming it won't take photos at all - did you check the position of the mirror? Is it up or down?
What program where you in when the problem occurred?
What happens when you press the shutter button? Look in the lens when you press it (make sure flash won't fire so you don't blind yourself ) - do you see an movement inside upon button press?
08-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
Bit confused - you say the screen is black and camera tries but does not take a photo, than that it comes out black. So just for clarification - it won't take a photo at all?

Assuming it won't take photos at all - did you check the position of the mirror? Is it up or down?
What program where you in when the problem occurred?
What happens when you press the shutter button? Look in the lens when you press it (make sure flash won't fire so you don't blind yourself ) - do you see an movement inside upon button press?
Thank you for the questions...I realize that I was not very clear in my description of the problem.

I was was shooting in AV mode and the camera just turned off (battery still had a charge). I attempted to turn off and then on again, but no luck. I decided to let the camera "rest" for a little while and then I changed out the battery, still no life.

Eventually, the camera did again turn on and the rear screen showed the menu and appeared ready to take a picture. Now, when I press the shutter button it does move inside, but nothing registers on the rear screen except for a histogram to the far left. Everything is black.

I am on a multi-city trip right now and I decided to leave the camera in the city that I will return to next week. No need to carry around dead weight!
08-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds to me that you could be dealing with a known problem with the K-30, the "aperture control block problem." It manifests itself as issues with exposure and battery and the aperture lever not working. Here was my thread when the problem developed for me just a few weeks ago.
Mine was still under extended warranty. I can report that I sent it in to Precision Camera. I experienced excellent communication with them, and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks. (Read my thread for the directions they gave me.)
I hope your K-30s are still in warranty. I'm not sure how much it would cost otherwise.

08-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try taking a selfie in MF mode and watch the aperture blades. Do they close down to f/22 unnecessarily?
08-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Bah, that's rather unlucky. Hopefully you have a spare camera to continue with on your trip. It does seem to be like the somewhat dreaded, repair cost wise, aperture block issue. In the EU you could argue for free repair as it's a known problem. Seems like in the US that is not the case tho past the warranty period - was just told that in another thread.