Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
So I need to replace my K5IIs and have a few options - need your help!
I could find a K5IIs and do a straight replacement.
Or, I could go for a K3 (I want an onboard flash), KS2, or a mirrorless camera from Pentax or someone else.

Questions:

- first, is there a mirrorless option that meets the quality of the K5IIs anywhere?

- aside from the slightly weaker flash, lower fps and shorter battery life, would you say that the KS2 is an upgrade from the K5IIs?

- If I could have all the function that I had, with a lighter weight camera, that would be awesome.

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Catherine
When you say quality, are you talking picture quality, build quality (including sealing), or quality of features? are you shooting with zooms or prime lenses, and is flash important? are you heavily invested in Pentax lenses? Daylight shooting?

I have the k-5iis, Fuji XE1 and a Ricoh GR.
I would not go for the k-s2, build seems much cheaper than what you have, and shutter is noisy, also.

I enjoy shooting with the Fuji for image quality, and primes that I use which are similar size to the Pentax limited glass. I have come to like evf for mostly static shooting I do. I don't like battery life, build quality (although good enough), and feature set. No SR in-body is also a negative. I have replaced all my primes with Fuji glass, and enjoy the lenses.
I feel the Fuji body is too small for telephoto lenses. The flash x-sync is also low.
The k-3 is nice, but slightly bigger and heavier than the k-5iis. I personally find it too big, especially with a zoom on. The AF is slightly better than the K-5iis, which IMO is much better than the k-5.

I would seriously consider an Olympus for daylight and mid-ISO work and for wet weather. Sony a6000 is a good cam for the money. k-5iis replacement is also a good option. I you can live with a wide only, the GR is awesome. The Panasonic gh-4 or g7 may also be worth a look.

08-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Since you ask about mirror less see if you can try out a Sony A7. They can be had cheaply now since they have moved on with newer models, and take stunning full frame size images. They are smaller lighter and noisier but and If you buy an adapter all your pentax lenses can be used manually and the kit lens that came with the A7 is very good.

If like me you have any legacy lenses which were of course meant for full frame you will be very happy with the results.

As for your question about meets the quality then yes the A7 images are more than equal to or better than the K5iis I have both and use them for a living so this is a very critical and subjective reply , however I only shoot Raw so cannot comment on the comparable out of the camera jpeg images.

Last edited by adwb; 08-16-2015 at 12:26 AM.
08-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #18

Original Poster
I was able to find a very slightly used, like new K5IIs for $600 Cdn. Would have liked to upgrade to the K3 but the extra $350 Cdn that would have cost me prevented it. It's ok - I have the same camera I had, like new, no taxes, and for half the price I originally paid!
Thank you so much to all of you who replied to my plea :-). Next: the lens!
08-17-2015, 02:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
I was able to find a very slightly used, like new K5IIs for $600 Cdn. Would have liked to upgrade to the K3 but the extra $350 Cdn that would have cost me prevented it. It's ok - I have the same camera I had, like new, no taxes, and for half the price I originally paid!
Thank you so much to all of you who replied to my plea :-). Next: the lens!
Excellent. The prices certainly have gone up here as the Cdn dollar has tanked so getting another K-5iis is a good idea.

Prime or zoom for the lens?

09-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #20

Do yall think Pentax will ever release a mirrorless APS-C designed like the old film bodies? I love those old designs. Wish we could get that. Also hope I am not necroing. Been reading through threads trying to decide if the K3II would be right for me.