Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #1

Help! K20D problems.

Over the last few months I have been having issues with my K20D.
The accuracy of the auto focus has become dodgy regardless of the lens I use and I have resorted to manual focus which I'm having difficulty with.
Also I am having trouble with when I set the aperture, the shutter speed the camera selects ends shutter up really underexposing or overexposing the shot.
I've tried taking two consecutive shots of the same thing with the same aperture and ended up with completely different shutter speeds despite the lighting not altering.
It does a similar thing when I set the shutter speed and the camera calculates the aperture.
On my last trip I ended up having to use total manual settings.
I've had the camera for 4 years or so and haven't had this problem before. Also I cleaned the connectors between lense and camera.
I'm not sure what to do about it and whether it is worth taking it somewhere to get it fixed.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'd appreciate some advice.

08-17-2015, 04:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

not sure if it is worth anything, but maybe reinstalling the firmware or maybe there is a 'reset possibility...?
08-17-2015, 04:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi,

Maybe cleaning the internals would help. Autofocus system is based on optical sensors, and maybe they have gotten dirty.
08-18-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
ROW

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
not sure if it is worth anything, but maybe reinstalling the firmware or maybe there is a 'reset possibility...?
Thanks grispie, not sure how to go about reinstalling firmware though. Do you know where I can get the information to do this?

---------- Post added 08-18-15 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marutinu Quote
Hi,

Maybe cleaning the internals would help. Autofocus system is based on optical sensors, and maybe they have gotten dirty.
Thanks marutinu, I'll have to do this and see if it helps. Cheers.

08-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This could be just the excuse your looking for... to "have to" get that new K3 or that looming FF.
08-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the exposure inconsistency there's a remote possibility the fault is in the lens = sticky diaphragm blades. Check them, just is case, or try a different lens and see if the same problems arise.