Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lineswest Quote
I do have a standard UV filter on i
try again after remove the uv filter, and find a hood if you can (cheap eBay one works fine). I actually leave the original hood at home and mounted a metal hood bought from eBay on the lens.

08-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA*24 definitely needs a hood, and I doubt that your UV filter is having any beneficial effect.
You have chosen some difficult light to shoot test images; the comparison shot with the zoom, and the final shot in the series with the FA* are well exposed - all the others are significantly overexposed which will not help.

For the record, my copy is not razor sharp wide open, but it's certainly acceptable even in bright light.

08-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lineswest Quote
I unfortunately don't have a lens hood though I do have a standard UV filter on it
Important for film, but the digital sensor has its own UV filter layer.

Keep it if you're using it as a de facto lens protector, but take it off while shooting. :-)
08-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

It is my understanding that all Pentax multicoated lenses are multicoated on all surfaces including cemented elements (according to 30 year old advertising). To check for haziness between lens elements an LED flashlight works best. Even a one led keychain light works well. Open the diaphragm all the way. Shine the light from the back and look from the front. Have your eye off center so that you don't blind yourself. You can see stuff on inner lens elements pretty well this way.

08-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
It is my understanding that all Pentax multicoated lenses are multicoated on all surfaces including cemented elements (according to 30 year old advertising). To check for haziness between lens elements an LED flashlight works best. Even a one led keychain light works well. Open the diaphragm all the way. Shine the light from the back and look from the front. Have your eye off center so that you don't blind yourself. You can see stuff on inner lens elements pretty well this way.
Thanks to all the advice on the hazing as well as the bracket shooting and manual modes for investigating. I'll pull the uv filter off the thing, pick up a hood and see what I can come up with. When I get some more info I'll fill out the thread with some follow up. I can see elements of the images taken that are very nice, if I can get rid of the haze, it will be a real winner like my other fa*
08-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A hood is going to bump up the contrast a lot
08-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I actually leave the original hood at home and mounted a metal hood bought from eBay on the lens.

I may start doing this, as I find the *24 hood to be a pesky contraption to mount/dismount correctly (don't use it enough, I guess).
08-19-2015, 03:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 on hood use and removal of UV filter.

Seb

08-19-2015, 03:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My two cents...

Some have mentioned hazing as a possible cause, in which case cleaning up the surfaces of the relevant element(s) should help bring back the contrast.

Here I would like to mention a specific kind of hazing, known as delamination. This happened to my FA*24. This lens has an aspherical element. What was explained to me by my local Pentax repair staff is that this element is not made from a solid block of glass, but of multiple pieces, glued together with special glue (that's what I could make of the explanation). In delamination, the glue starts to fail, or de-nature, or whatever. In my case, it commences from the periphery of the element, working slowly inwards, radially. The picture begins to get increasingly hazy. Also, the delamination can be seen when one peers into the lens, with right lighting/viewing angle.

I regret to say that according to that repair staff, there is no recourse. It is apparently not even possible to send the lens to Pentax Japan to replace that aspherical element, since the lens is too old and spares are no longer supported for lenses beyond a certain age (company policy). Sorry to not have any good news to bring. Perhaps others in the forum have had similar experience and can suggest something. Of course, one could just buy another copy (used) of the lens, but some speculate that the launch of the FF will bring with it a refresh of this lens, perhaps DFA* 24 f1.4, or whatever. Of course it remains to be seen whether the latter, if it exists, will retain the wonderful rendering character of the FA*24 f2.0 ......

Back to the OP's concern, I suggest that if you send the lens for checking/repair/cleaning, ask the staff to watch out for delamination, in addition to the more common types of hazing.
08-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
+1 on hood use and removal of UV filter.
+2 It looked to me like most of the problem pics had light sources that could have been hitting the front of the lens.