Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 05:14 AM   #1

Badly underexposed (near black) images after turning on the camera

Hi,

I'm a long time Pentax owner and I've owned a K-50 for over a year now. I use a variety of lenses on it both digital and manual. Recently I've been getting the same problem regardless of which lens I have on it.

The first few shots after turning on the camera are near black. Usually the first two but it's inconsistent It can be up to the first four or it can properly expose on the first shot. Usually it happens with a digital lens but it has been starting to happen when I have a manual lens on it as well. It seems to happen the most when it is set to P mode but it has yet to happen in M mode.

I have tried a factory reset and there's been no improvement. The pins seem clean. As far as I can tell there's nothing physically broken between the lenses and body.

So... I assume I'll have to take it in for repair? The problem is that I live in South Korea and I think there's one Pentax shop in the whole nation now that Yongsan is a shell of it's former self. I suppose I could go in and see if they can do something about it but Seoul is a bit far away and I think they're just sellers. Also, the camera was bought in Australia. Dunno if that matters but I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty either way.

I'd hate to have to buy a new camera. I've been pretty happy with this guy.

I've added a quick dirty image series as example. These are shots three, four, and five

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-20-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/229294-k30-random-underexposure-problem-3.html
It's a known K-30 problem, and as the K-50 is a K-30 in a different body with one or two extras, it'll probably be the same problem...
08-20-2015, 05:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It appears to me that you have the camera shooting mode set to bracketing, try changing it back to single frame. Also check your exposure compensation setting and reset it to 0.
08-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Same thing happened to my K-30. Aperture Control Diaphragm had to be replaced under extended warranty.

08-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As noted above, there is a known issue with the aperture control mechanism* in both the K-30 and K-50 cameras. The cost of a fix is close to the cost of a replacement body on today's market.

Before jumping to this conclusion, you can check the general aperture function using M mode at various aperture settings and a fairly long exposure (~2s). Look through the front of the lens and confirm that the opening is appropriate. You should also confirm that you have exposure compensation set to zero and bracketing turned off.

Steve
08-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I have checked all of everyone's suggestions and it's not any of that. I guess it's time for a new camera if the repair is going to cost that much. Thanks again for your insight.
02-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

K-50 underexposure issue

My K-50 started doing the same thing - did you get it repaired?

To work around this I found if I pull the memory card and burst fire it for a dozen or so frames it starts working again until the next time I let it sit a while. I know it's not really a fix, but it might at least let you use the thing if you weren't able to get it fixed or get rid of it in that condition.
02-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

K30/50 probably the most unreliable Pentax cameras ever.....return or get it repaired if still under warranty, or throw it against a brick wall and move on...