Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
well, I am going to have to read some more. I have occasional photos again out of focus and I can't figure out why, but it looks like grass just slightly in the background is in focus, so I am thinking my camera is back focusing now and I am going to go through with some kits to test that.

08-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use AF.C for action, so it will constantly update focus. AF.S will be frustrating for moving subjects. Test both if you want, but do test AF.C not just one focus mode. Also set up for shutter priority (I think that's what it's called) so the camera doesn't wait for focus lock.
08-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Use AF.C for action, so it will constantly update focus. AF.S will be frustrating for moving subjects. Test both if you want, but do test AF.C not just one focus mode. Also set up for shutter priority (I think that's what it's called) so the camera doesn't wait for focus lock.
I do have it set for af.c but I will look at shutter priority, not sure what I have that set on. thanks
08-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
thanks for the help everyone, I took the camera out today and suspect I either have a camera or lens issue problem at this point. I am doing some more testing, but at 48-55mm, my photos were out of focus at 1/250 sec and above or in focus in the wrong area. I checked everything over a few times. I am only guessing but I think it was dropped and knocked something because I had pretty good images and predictable focusing for about 6 months. I bought a 55-300 WR which I was planning on buying anyways (I could not resist the price plus a few gift cards I had) if I have issues with that, then I guess I will have to have the camera looked at.
i have not seen to this point any comment on which focus sensor you have selected or is "auto"

i have found many times that in "auto" the camera does not focus on what I am concerned with., you may want to select the central focusing point only, and use it.

ALso, how are you holding the lens, note that while image stabilization by sensor movement can take the shake out of a shot, if there is shake, your focus sensor may not be looking at the subject at the time you lock focus and snap the shot. this is especially true of tele lenses.

Additionally, when using a long lens, you need to consider the impact of the ground. you generally end up presenting the focusing sensor with a very accute angle to the ground at the point you wish to focus on. therefore due to the size of the focus sensor, it may be looking several feet in front of or behind the subject, as opposed to at the subject. focusing works best on surfaces and subjects at right angles to the lens axis not at accute angles to it.

last point is in the pentax shot in the first post, there is a flag pole right behind the central subject, it may have confused the focusing.

Note,, my comments are based upon a lot of experience using much longer lenses, and wild life, where shooting with confusing backgrounds, foreground objects, branches grass etc, presents a real challenge to ensure the focusing system focuses on what I want. you need to pay attention

08-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i have not seen to this point any comment on which focus sensor you have selected or is "auto"
I use the af.c and then expanded area s. I just use the center point, I don't move the focal point

Here are some more I took last night. The bad one of the bunch is the one taken at iso 320. It looks like the grass is in focus above her back foot. I felt like I was being careful, but I may need to be even more aware. I don't use shake reduction, the pictures are taken at 1/1000 at various focal lengths (I think the highest I used was 250) The ones at the high iso I don't mind, I don't have a problem with the quality of the image for the high iso, but at 320 I feel the focus is an issue

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133719639@N05/