Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #1

Problem with View Finder mode

Hi
I am a newbie owner of a K-S1 and am trying the various features. All was well but now the shutter release button will not take a picture using Auto Focus in Viewfinder Mode. It will take one on Manual Focus. Live View seems to work OK on Auto Focus. Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

08-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tortie Quote
Hi
I am a newbie owner of a K-S1 and am trying the various features. All was well but now the shutter release button will not take a picture using Auto Focus in Viewfinder Mode. It will take one on Manual Focus. Live View seems to work OK on Auto Focus. Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Welcome to the forum! I don't have a K-S1 so there could be thing I am missing, but most controls are universal to all Pentax DSLRs. You will also get some responses from people a lot better than I am about diagnosing problems. It sounds as though you may have the camera set to focus priority, but for some reason the focus is not achieved. The camera will only fire if the subject is in focus. This does not make a difference in manual focus, and live view uses a different focusing system. There are a lot of variables here so more information may be required. What is the subject you are shooting? How is the lighting? Are you getting focus confirmation?
08-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tortie Quote
Hi
Many thanks.
In AF-S mode (unless the release priority custom function is set), the shutter won't release unless your subject is in focus. Is that not the case?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome to the forum! I don't have a K-S1 so there could be thing I am missing, but most controls are universal to all Pentax DSLRs. You will also get some responses from people a lot better than I am about diagnosing problems. It sounds as though you may have the camera set to focus priority, but for some reason the focus is not achieved. The camera will only fire if the subject is in focus. This does not make a difference in manual focus, and live view uses a different focusing system. There are a lot of variables here so more information may be required. What is the subject you are shooting? How is the lighting? Are you getting focus confirmation?
Many thanks for your reply - here is some more info:
Custom settings - if focus priority is set only AF-C will allow the shutter to fire but focus is not achieved and pictures are over-exposed.
If shutter priority is set AF-S, AF-C & AF-A will allow the shutter to fire but again focus is not achieved and pictures are over-exposed.
The subject was my wife and the lighting was bright, inside the house.

08-24-2015, 06:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In AF-S mode (unless the release priority custom function is set), the shutter won't release unless your subject is in focus. Is that not the case?
Thanks for your reply Adam
I hope the extra info that I gave in reply to ramseybuckeye will be of some help to try and resolve my issue.
08-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you're confusing a few different settings here- the AF settings shouldn't have any effect on the exposure of your image.

Make sure your camera is set to matrix metering.

Could you post some sample photos straight out of camera that show the problem?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It sounds like you're confusing a few different settings here- the AF settings shouldn't have any effect on the exposure of your image.

Make sure your camera is set to matrix metering.

Could you post some sample photos straight out of camera that show the problem?
I think you are right Adam - I'm feeling really confused right now!! The K-S1 is my first DSLR - I'm trying to upgrade from a Panasonic Bridge. I've decided to go back to square one and try to reset all the camera settings back to their default values i.e. how they were set when I unpacked the box. Then I'll go back to basics and start all over again.

I think I may have been a bit over-enthusiatic by experimenting with things, including trying an old Pentax ME Super film camera 50mm f/1.7 lens, which was given to me! I did get this to work and took some decent photos with it before returning to my kit lens which also worked fine ... for a while. I'm thinking that I have maybe changed some settings incorrectly along the way and got myself (and the camera) in a muddle!

Thank you for your help so far. I'll let you know how I get on - I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll be needing some help on this excellent forum.