Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
I think it's a Bracketing problem

I think it's a Bracketing problem, or is it something in my settings?. At M mode Bracketing stay's at -5. I have to go at 30' s time of opening, iso 100, at sunlight to get the bracketing too go to -3. At higher ISO, bracketing can go over 0. Manual Bracketing at 0, does not work. At AUTO, the ISO at maximum insetting (3200), and time opening stays at 10-30s . But on LIVEVIEW everything seems to work. This problem started when the battery ran dead. I reinstalled the 1.21 firmware, didn't work. (K-3, 18-135mm).

Thanks for your help

Phil

Last edited by PParent418; 08-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.
08-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you trying for 5 shot or 3 shot brackets?

And what is the bracket spread?
08-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Are you trying for 5 shot or 3 shot brackets?

And what is the bracket spread?
3 shot , 0,3ev
08-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PParent418 Quote
I think it's a Bracketing problem, or is it something in my settings?. At M mode Bracketing stay's at -5. I have to go at 30' s time of opening, iso 100, at sunlight to get the bracketing too go to -3. At higher ISO, bracketing can go over 0. Manual Bracketing at 0, does not work. At AUTO, the ISO at maximum insetting (3200), and time opening stays at 10-30s . But on LIVEVIEW everything seems to work. This problem started when the battery ran dead. I reinstalled the 1.21 firmware, didn't work. (K-3, 18-135mm).

Thanks for your help

Phil
Do you have any exposure compensation dialed in?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-24-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you have any exposure compensation dialed in?
The problem also occurs whit exposure compensation. I manually put it at 0, but conpensatiin continue to vary when light or setting changes.
08-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The problem also occurs whit exposure compensation. I manually put it at 0, but conpensatiin continue to vary when light or setting changes.
I don't see a reason why it would change on its own unless you're accidentally doing it...the exposure compensation isn't a setting the camera decides on its own. Could you post some samples (straight out of camera) illustrating the exposure problem?

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't see a reason why it would change on its own unless you're accidentally doing it...the exposure compensation isn't a setting the camera decides on its own. Could you post some samples (straight out of camera) illustrating the exposure problem?
Adam, I made a short .mov to illustrate the problem. Thanks for your time. Phil
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfbgr9nkmpjm78f/IMG_2909.MOV?dl=0
08-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I am not familiar with the K3, but I watched the video. Isn't your camera telling you that it is too dark for a meter reading? That's why the display is blinking. The K3 meters down to Ev -3 but in the video it seems like a lot of the values work out to something darker than that. Kind of "lens-cap-on" levels. Your original post mentions doing this in different light conditions, but are you trying to set stuff up with the lens cap on?

08-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I am not familiar with the K3, but I watched the video. Isn't your camera telling you that it is too dark for a meter reading? That's why the display is blinking. The K3 meters down to Ev -3 but in the video it seems like a lot of the values work out to something darker than that. Kind of "lens-cap-on" levels. Your original post mentions doing this in different light conditions, but are you trying to set stuff up with the lens cap on?
The Lens cap was off.
08-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Adam, I made a short .mov to illustrate the problem. Thanks for your time. Phil
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfbgr9nkmpjm78f/IMG_2909.MOV?dl=0
I watched the video and agree with Dave. I own a K-3 and was able to fully duplicate by going to a closet with very low light level. The behavior is what you would expect when the light to the meter is below published sensitivity of -3 EV(100). That translates to an exposure of 30s, f/2, ISO 100 (night with subject lit by full mood alone). The blinking display indicates that the light to the sensor was below that range. Note that ramping the ISO up does not affect the meter sensitivity.

If the display is blinking and the light is dim, you need more light to use the built-in meter.

What's more, the EV value in the rear or top LCD is not accurate under those conditions. Ricoh/Pentax really should turn that portion of the display off when the meter is out of range or at least called that fact out in the user guide (ha, ha).

Possible causes are:
  • Lens cap on
  • Dense ND filter mounted
  • Very low ambient light
  • Any combination of the above
The part about the bracketing is a Red Herring (turned off for the video).

If you must shoot under very low light conditions, I suggest using a hand-held meter featuring extended sensitivity (e.g. vintage Gossen Luna-Pro SBC...EV -8 at the low end) or any of the available charts that would allow a reasonable estimate from which to calculate a manual exposure setting.

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#Light%20Intensity%20Chart

Guess-n-chimp works too

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-25-2015 at 10:57 AM.
08-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I watched the video and agree with Dave. I own a K-3 and was able to fully duplicate by going to a closet with very low light level. The behavior is what you would expect when the light to the meter is below published sensitivity of -3 EV(100). That translates to an exposure of 30s, f/2, ISO 100 (night with subject lit by full mood alone). The blinking display indicates that the light to the sensor was below that range. Note that ramping the ISO up does not affect the meter sensitivity.

If the display is blinking and the light is dim, you need more light to use the built-in meter.

What's more, the EV value in the rear or top LCD is noIt accurate under those conditions. Ricoh/Pentax really should turn that portion of the display off when the meter is out of range or at least called that fact out in the user guide (ha, ha).

Possible causes are:
  • Lens cap on
  • Dense ND filter mounted
  • Very low ambient light
  • Any combination of the above
The part about the bracketing is a Red Herring (turned off for the video).

If you must shoot under very low light conditions, I suggest using a hand-held meter featuring extended sensitivity (e.g. vintage Gossen Luna-Pro SBC...EV -8 at the low end) or any of the available charts that would allow a reasonable estimate from which to calculate a manual exposure setting.

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Guess-n-chimp works too

Steve
I agree it was a Red herring whit the bracketing, but I was in front of the window and did that out doors to in full day. So if I understand (English is not my first language) and all possible causes named are checked, it would be the internal meter?!
08-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My suggestion: go outside, see what exposure settings the camera recommend when you press the green button in M mode. Also, try Av and Tv modes.

Adam

08-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter

all possible causes named are checked, it would be the internal meter?!
Yes...or something like that.

Steve
09-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #14

Original Poster
Bad news, the camera went to Sun Camera (great service) for repair, they found corrosion inside. They can not fix it under replacement value. Warranty does not pay for water/something infiltration. a Silver edition payed 1200$ 16 months ago, I'm pissed off!!
10-14-2015, 02:50 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you all for posting me recommendations to solve my problem. Since it was a water infiltration problem...they were nothing to do. The good news is that my home insurance will replace the camera! Also special thanks to the great, super store Camera Canada in London, On, in helping me in my in Journey. I am not that satisfied whit the Service I had from Ricoh Canada, that suggested at first to do a reset, after they didn't even returned my mails. Best wishes everyone...