Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

help with camera/lens selection

OK, not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes; I have an old(er) Pentax Superprogram 35mm SLR and 3 lenses; 50mm 1:1.7, 28mm 1:2.8 and a 70-210 1.4 zoom. All lenses are Pentax SMC Pentax-A. All lenses (and the camera) are in "like new" condition. My question is this: I want to get back into photography using a Pentax camera (not a point and shoot) and want to know if there is a newer Pentax DSLR camera body that will accommodate these lenses? I'm really not interested in getting back into film photography and would prefer a digital medium if one is available.

Any help you might provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

08-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All your lenses will work great on all the current DSLR's: manual focus only of course, see here for more details.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

and here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/manual-focus-lens-choices-pentax.html
08-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dustoff Quote
OK, not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes; I have an old(er) Pentax Superprogram 35mm SLR and 3 lenses; 50mm 1:1.7, 28mm 1:2.8 and a 70-210 1.4 zoom. All lenses are Pentax SMC Pentax-A. All lenses (and the camera) are in "like new" condition. My question is this: I want to get back into photography using a Pentax camera (not a point and shoot) and want to know if there is a newer Pentax DSLR camera body that will accommodate these lenses? I'm really not interested in getting back into film photography and would prefer a digital medium if one is available.

Thanks in advance.
All Pentax DSLRs fully suppose legacy A lenses. You'll be able to use them without any compromises in terms of shooting modes (i.e. program, aperture priority, and shutter priority) but you will have to focus manually.

The Pentax K-50 is an excellent value ($294) if you want to get back into the world of photography.

Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera Body Black - B&H Photo Video
Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dustoff Quote

Thanks in advance.
In other words find a camera body that's within your budget and has the features you like and you can use all your lenses and more. Since 1975 and now Pentax has used the same mount. All the lenses are definitely compatible. About the only thing that you might notice that is different has nothing to do with the lenses, but rather as of right now Pentax bodies are all crop sensors.

Realistically if you look around the marketplace you can get a used camera body for a couple hundred bucks and you can be out shooting photos in no time.

08-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

I have a K-30, and i'd second or third the suggestion to get a K-50. It's got complete manual controls, and a great sensor. Its biggest plus at the moment is that:
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax K-50 is an excellent value ($294)
I've used my M 50 1.7 on my K-30, works wonderfully, same with my A 28 2.8
08-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm echoing the K-50 suggestions. Buy a K-50 at the phenomenal price it is at now and you have a brand new camera with a warranty. I have a K-30 and K-50 (they are nearly the same) and occasionally use a couple of Pentax-A lenses. The photo below is an example of the Pentax-A 50mm 1:1.7 on a K-30, great lens.

08-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got restarted in digital photography with a k50. I loved it and recently acquired the k3 as a gift. If not for the fact it was a gift I would have kept shooting the k50 and been quite happy. It is that good. I don't want to give up my k3 anytime soon now however.

08-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is a good idea to get the DA 18-55 with whatever camera you get. It shouldn't cost you much extra. If you can't find a package deal then look for one on the marketplace here. The lens has autofocus which is useful for quick shots. It is a very inexpensive way to get wide angle coverage. You might also consider getting the weather resistant WR version, which is more expensive but useful in mist, around dog noses, light rain or snow. I know the K50 has weather seals and most of the other bodies do also.
08-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a 50mm f1.7 and a 70-210mm f4 with my K-50 on a regular basis - and they are phenomenal lenses... I have several other A lenses and cannot recommend the combination of a K-50 and manual lenses enough...