Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-50 doesn't tell you when SD card is full!

Almost had a heart attack when K-50 shutter button was not responsive. Fresh battery; same behavior no matter what lens I tried. Went to the manual, and in trouble shooting section gave full media card as one of the reasons for no action from shutter button. And that's what I had as empty card eliminated anxiety. It's interesting that no message appears. If you have a similar situation, check the/change the card.

08-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how many shots did you have on the card?
08-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like 700 shots, in RAW on an 8 GB card
08-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
Almost had a heart attack when K-50 shutter button was not responsive. Fresh battery; same behavior no matter what lens I tried. Went to the manual, and in trouble shooting section gave full media card as one of the reasons for no action from shutter button. And that's what I had as empty card eliminated anxiety. It's interesting that no message appears. If you have a similar situation, check the/change the card.
A message should normally be displayed on the rear LCD. Was the card locked perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A message should normally be displayed on the rear LCD. Was the card locked perhaps?
Card was unlocked and no message on the rear LCD. Actual # images was 512 (7 of 8 GB) per Lightroom import from card.

Very interesting...

Harvey
08-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K3 doesn't say anything to me when card 2 is full. Just stops working. Eventually I notice that there are 0 shots remaining and correct the problem. Mostly ran into it before I shoved the FLU card into a drawer and put a second 64 gig card in. I don't know that I've ever run out of space on card 1 since switching to Pentax.
08-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the problem is, that the camera does only know how many bytes on the card are still unused.
But it cannot know - not even roughly, as this is highly settings dependend - how many bytes storing of the next (not yet taken) picture will need.

My K200D I set it to show the remaining shots in the VF, and, pressing the center button, also on the top display. But this number is calculated very conservatively and often seems to have no real relation to reality.

I think with at least one of my older Pentax P&S models, the camera just stopped working with a warning, when also the buffer was full. Some or most of these models had a buffer surviving switching off, which was good enough for at least 1 picture in the highest resolution and jpeg quality.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-25-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typing
08-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're not screwing around with settings from one shot to the next, it's a pretty accurate count. When you see it go under 100, 50, whatever, switch cards. Simple enough.

But really, 8 gigs? Get a bigger card. You can get a very nice, fast, reliable Sandisk Extreme Pro card for $30 for a 32 gig or $50 for a 64 gig card. Even a $20 16 gig card would double your available space and probably decrease time between bursts, but the minimum I'd consider is the 64.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-1-SDHC-Memory/dp/B005LFT3GG/
08-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What worries me with large cards is if they fail or get lost, you have lost a large number of pics.
08-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
What worries me with large cards is if they fail or get lost, you have lost a large number of pics.
unless you pull your pictures off the card after every shoot -- why would keep images on the card?
08-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
unless you pull your pictures off the card after every shoot -- why would keep images on the card?
I know someone who claims they never take the photos off their SD cards.. they buy new ones when they get full. They say they have a whole drawer full of them!!!!

I wonder how common is this behavior...
08-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

btw.. doesn't you camera have a counter at the bottom? My K-x, K-r, K-30, and K-5II all have had them.. bottom, right corner of the large LED panel on the back of the camera. And also on the top LCD panel on the K-5II. When one is out of room on the card, the counter should read '0' -- Are you saying you have no counter whatsoever on your K-50?
08-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
btw.. doesn't you camera have a counter at the bottom? My K-x, K-r, K-30, and K-5II all have had them.. bottom, right corner of the large LED panel on the back of the camera. And also on the top LCD panel on the K-5II. When one is out of room on the card, the counter should read '0' -- Are you saying you have no counter whatsoever on your K-50?

Yep, counter display, bottom right corner on my wife's K-50.
08-26-2015, 05:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Yep, counter display, bottom right corner on my wife's K-50.
Yes, there is a counter on my K-50. I never noticed it before and I have always "emptied" my cards much sooner- like within days of last image. So, never needed to pay attention. This time I just kept shooting. One learns something new everyday, and I appreciate everyone's replies.
08-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Why would you do that?

I don't necessarily format my cards every time I take pictures (and sometimes when I forget, I thank Pentax for allowing you to zoom playback mode out to a calendar view and delete entire days worth of images at a time), but I do download the photos from them at the end of every day. Sometimes two or three times in one day, when I'm on vacation and have downtime between outings (my wife likes to nap a lot).

Cards are for temporary storage of images.