Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

Just got pentax k50 with 18-55 wr lens. Need help getting started please

i know a little about iso and aperture and shutter speed. But is there some kind of tutorial i can read or watch which will help me get more familiar with what everything on the camera does and for what type of situation i should be using it for?

thank you!

08-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little advice to start with.

Set the Camera (top dial) to AV. Set the camera to different ƒ-stops. Shoot something close up at different ƒ-stops.
Figure out how to change the +- EV settings. Take some images from +2 to -2 EV, see what you think of the images.
Learn how to change the ISO.

Set the camera to TV, learn how to change shutter speeds, take images of something moving at different shutter speed from 1/8 s to 1/1000 sec. Get familiar with changing the ISO button to allow you to increase your shutter speed.

Take images of the same thing, something indoors but in good light at different ISO, from 100 ISO to 3200 ISO , watch what happens tot he image quality as ISO increases.

Those are the basic things I would tackle. And that should be enough to keep you busy for an hour or two. Your manual will help you through it.
08-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

YouTube has many good videos. I would recommend B&H photo videos and Tony Northrup
08-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by max77p Quote
i know a little about iso and aperture and shutter speed. But is there some kind of tutorial i can read or watch which will help me get more familiar with what everything on the camera does and for what type of situation i should be using it for?

thank you!
This guide should give you a better understanding of the basics:

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
mee
Site Supporter

Adam's link is really a nice place to start. And remember not to focus on looking up at the proverbial whole mountain while standing at the base.. it may look formidable at that vantage point. It is better to take it in small pieces.. Rome wasn't built in a day.. it is ok to take baby steps!
08-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #6

Also recommend getting an ebook from this site. They are a users quids on steroids. They give some basic photography technique. They really excell at teaching you about your camera and helping you understand and unlocks it's full potential. Here is a link to the website
#pentaxebook

---------- Post added 08-24-15 at 11:57 PM ----------

Very sound advice
08-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I also recommend trying out the SCN modes. Shoot the scene using the Tv or Av mode - then try a dedicated mode suited to what you are photographing. Note if the ISO, shutter speed or aperture (or all of them) change. See if you like the effect and then figure out what it was the camera did to make that image more of what you wanted. This goes hand in hand with the understanding exposure info above. Start with all of this good advice and ask lots of questions. Post pictures when things go wrong and ask for help.
08-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The use of trial and error learning to use the camera through putting yourself in different shooting environments/situations is going to give you hands on knowledge. I use TAV mode, and have tested with other modes. Testing with different modes after you read their definitions in your camera manual will demonstrate to you what they do. You may want to read the definitions of Shutter Speed, ISO, and Aperture as needed to get a simple understanding of what they actually mean. If you are looking for videos, you can go into a browser, and search for videos using something similar to "ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture" for search terms. Taking pictures and analyzing their properties on your camera or computer is also useful in determining what ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture settings are best for you in different situations.