Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #1

ugg..what to do with large black dots as I look thru viewfinder

So I've blown out with my bulb repeatedly inside on the prism and mirror as wellas the sensor...no relief. Big black particles in my viewfinder driving me nuts as I try to take a pic. What should I do? thnks robin

08-25-2015, 05:57 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Try to ignore it or send the camera off to be cleaned. I did have a similar issue once while the camera was in warranty. Sent it off for them to have a look. It was returned clean as a whistle. But little bits slowly returning. Out of warranty now so I look past them now.
08-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rstedem Quote
So I've blown out with my bulb repeatedly inside on the prism and mirror as wellas the sensor...no relief. Big black particles in my viewfinder driving me nuts as I try to take a pic. What should I do? thnks robin
Look at this
08-25-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They could be on the top side of the focusing screen.. no blower is going to easily get those.

The only solution I can consider, if this is your situation, is to remove the focusing screen and gently clean (rocket blower preferred, very soft brush if that fails). Please note that the focusing screen is a fragile piece and is prone to scratching. You will have to be extra careful with it (both in removing it from the camera and removing the actual dust). A hard brush can potentially leave scratches so I'd recommend the blower if at all possible.

I've removed several of these screens without issue (to clear similar blotches) but I can't stress patience and care when doing this enough.

But, to rewind, are you sure this is on the viewfinder? I mean do you see the dots on your images?

08-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
pid

I don't find that focusing screens are fragile pieces. You only have to provide scratches when you remove and put them back.
The best solution to get them dust free is to clean it under your faucet with a drip of dish soap. But don't touch it or use cleaning napkins or something like that. Just water. Let it dry and put it back in your cam. Works fine with no problems.
08-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Focusing screens are made of way softer material than the sensor filter on your camera. Be careful.