Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old Pentax lenses won't work on K3 and K-01 - HELP!!

I am relatively new to the Pentax system. I have a K3 and a K-01, and really like them both for auto-focus lenses and for my "A prime manual focus lenses".

However, when I have these camera bodies set to Av (Aperture Priority) and put either my SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 or old MF Russian lenses on them, I find that turning the aperture ring on the lens has no affect on the shutter speed. Also, turning the front and back "wheels" on the upper right side of the camera have no effect either.

Might someone be able to tell me what settings to use so that I can get back control of my old MF lenses and be able to adjust the shutter speed and aperture?

Thanks,
Dave in Wisconsin

08-26-2015, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check out the manuals online. You have to use M, mode, and the green button to adjust for aperture. I have a K3-II and K-30, and it works with my old lenses from film days (ME, K1000 !!)

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 12:05 AM ----------

Here is a link to the Ricoh/Pentax website:
Search | Ricoh Imaging Support
08-26-2015, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The M series work fine. I have used all the M lenses listed in my signature block below on my K-3 and also a K-x.

As the poster before me indicated, you need to use the M setting. A couple of settings in the menus also need to set up a certain way. You've obviously found the setting that allows the camera to work in absence of any lens information being transmitted to it. The other menu setting is to tell the camera to use TAv mode (I think, from memory) when using the green button. This will ensure the camera will adjust the shutter speed when using the green button to meter a manual lens.

Then when using the camera, set the aperture ring to set the desired aperture, focus, press the green button and the camera will momentarily read the exposure and set the shutter speed to suit the selected ISO and the amount of light the stopped down lens is transmitting. Then take the shot when you are ready - the lens will again be momentarily stopped down during the exposure. The front wheel can be used after the green button and before the shot to vary the shutter speed away from what the camera chose (I found certain M lenses had a habit of needing an extra 2/3 EV of shutter speed, so I habitually moved the front wheel two clicks right after the green button step). The rear wheel has no effect. This can seem cumbersome at first, but is quite quick if you shoot K or M lenses regularly and get into a routine.

If the scene is not changing, you can then take multiple shots without further green button use.

Check shots periodically in playback mode with the histogram display active to satisfy yourself all is going to plan. Again, from memory, the camera will only use centre-weighted metering with manual lenses rather than matrix metering, and will therefore be less aware of any local highlights that might need protecting. If you are using your M*300 to shoot birds, you may need to override the camera's metering to protect any white feathers from overexposure.

In Av mode, a K or M lens will always be shot wide open, and the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed as needed (at the point of the shutter half press). The aperture ring has no effect at all as the camera will not activate the stop down lever as the photo is being taken. In this mode, neither wheel will be affecting anything. Can be good for quick shooting as exposure is automatic, but only when shooting wide open is desired. With a really old lens, with aperture stopping down actuated on the lens itself, then Av can work with apertures other than wide open, but at the expense of a darker viewfinder.

Last edited by southlander; 08-26-2015 at 12:45 AM.
08-26-2015, 12:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

08-26-2015, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
First, you have to make sure that using aperture ring is turned on in your "C" settings. After that, you either use the M mode with the green button as "P-Line" (Preferred) or if you want to use the Av mode, I guess that you could assign one of the buttons to show a preview of your shot and press it before each shot. It would be great If someone here could confirm the accuracy of this method.

Last edited by farhaddad; 08-26-2015 at 12:46 AM.
08-26-2015, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I am relatively new to the Pentax system. I have a K3 and a K-01, and really like them both for auto-focus lenses and for my "A prime manual focus lenses".

However, when I have these camera bodies set to Av (Aperture Priority) and put either my SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 or old MF Russian lenses on them, I find that turning the aperture ring on the lens has no affect on the shutter speed. Also, turning the front and back "wheels" on the upper right side of the camera have no effect either.

Might someone be able to tell me what settings to use so that I can get back control of my old MF lenses and be able to adjust the shutter speed and aperture?

Thanks,
Dave in Wisconsin
You're missing a key step: namely stopping down to meter. Follow the step in this guide and you'll be good to go

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2015, 01:20 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you! You are extremely helpful. This is the best and most helpful camera forum I've ever been too.

Dave

08-26-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're missing a key step: namely stopping down to meter. Follow the step in this guide and you'll be good to go

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
I find when using my manual K lenses and Helios M39 I get a lot of underexposure (following the same method in the guide)
08-26-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I find when using my manual K lenses and Helios M39 I get a lot of underexposure (following the same method in the guide)
I find exposure is not entirely reliable with M, K, and even A lenses but - I think some of this is due to being spoiled by Mattix metering. Center weighted requires a few things and I'm guilty of not having the camera setup to easily use center weighting. For example I don't use exposure lock but I recompose - which means my subject may be in a different light than the center of the frame which throws off exposure. So I chimp and dial in an exposure compensation value to help me stay on exposure.
08-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think double checking my metering (probably set to spot) and AE lock setting (and using it!) would be worthwhile, particularly like you say if recomposing.

I haven't tried any of my manual lenses on my new K3II yet so I'll be interested to see how this compares.
08-26-2015, 06:22 AM   #11

Can you lock exposure under manual mode? I though you can't do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I find exposure is not entirely reliable with M, K, and even A lenses but - I think some of this is due to being spoiled by Mattix metering. Center weighted requires a few things and I'm guilty of not having the camera setup to easily use center weighting. For example I don't use exposure lock but I recompose - which means my subject may be in a different light than the center of the frame which throws off exposure. So I chimp and dial in an exposure compensation value to help me stay on exposure.
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I think double checking my metering (probably set to spot) and AE lock setting (and using it!) would be worthwhile, particularly like you say if recomposing.

I haven't tried any of my manual lenses on my new K3II yet so I'll be interested to see how this compares.
08-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
Can you lock exposure under manual mode? I though you can't do that.
DOH! LOL... I'm not sure but I know I haven't been careful about metering before recomposing.
08-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DOH! LOL... I'm not sure but I know I haven't been careful about metering before recomposing.
I just take the light metering (I press the green button) before I recompose. However, the exposure lock button (AE-L) doesn't function under M mode. At least not in K-50. I can't remember using it in K-3.
08-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Which might explain why I get better results in full manual mode
08-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use 2 old k1000 lenses with my k3. I do full manual mode, and flip the switch on the shutter for the meter and preview. not sure if that is the best way but it works for me. one of the lens does have ae but the other doesnt not. ae isnt correct anyway though, its a tele but uses the same aperture no matter what focal length. I believe I asked earlier about metering with a manual lens, so it is in the forum somewhere. oops, it was about liking ae to af point, but I asked about metering with an old lens

Last edited by Murfy; 08-26-2015 at 07:34 AM.