Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #16

I use Pentax legacy (manual) lenses almost exclusively. As I'm sure others will agree, one thing you'll have to get used to is the over/under exposure characteristics of your favorite manual lenses. I really haven't found an alternative to simply remembering which lens does what.

And if you should ever cross over into that world of 3rd Party Focusing Screens, you'll have to get to know some your lenses all over again.

But it can be a beautiful thang!

08-26-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you find this really annoying to do, you can perform minor surgery and put a piece of aluminum foil under your camera's mount ring, over the A pin. That'll make it think all those M lenses are A lenses, and that will enable all the other functions.

But it won't work *well* except wide open. If you take a f/1.2 lens and set it to f/4, you'll get an actual result somewhere between f/2 and f/11, if you're lucky. They changed how the aperture lever moves with the A series lenses so that it moves in a consistent, predictable manner.

I did this on my K5 solely to make using my 55/1.2 lens wide open easier. I didn't do it on my K3, mostly because I didn't want to bother with it. M mode with green button metering isn't that big a deal, and I don't miss the other functionality that much (so far).
08-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My solution is more drastic: my old manual (SMC-M and M42 Takumar) are now used on a Sony A7. Yes, the aperture is then manual, but the VF stays at normal brightness and I have no trouble focusing. The Super Takumar need the lens A-M switch in M. And since it is full 35mm frame size sensor, a 50mm is again a normal FOV, and my 20mm is still an ultra-wide.
The only manual Pentax lens I still use on my K-5 is a 50 f2.8 SMC-A macro, which is a good combination.
I also have a good collection of Canon FL and FD, Leica-R, etc. lenses with no OEM FF digital body, and they all also work well on my Sontax.
08-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
My solution is more drastic: my old manual (SMC-M and M42 Takumar) are now used on a Sony A7. Yes, the aperture is then manual, but the VF stays at normal brightness and I have no trouble focusing. The Super Takumar need the lens A-M switch in M. And since it is full 35mm frame size sensor, a 50mm is again a normal FOV, and my 20mm is still an ultra-wide.
The only manual Pentax lens I still use on my K-5 is a 50 f2.8 SMC-A macro, which is a good combination.
I also have a good collection of Canon FL and FD, Leica-R, etc. lenses with no OEM FF digital body, and they all also work well on my Sontax.
What do you mean when you say that the view finder stays at normal brightness? Which adapter brand do you use on Sony A7?

Thanks

08-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
What do you mean when you say that the view finder stays at normal brightness? Which adapter brand do you use on Sony A7?

Thanks
The A7 has an electronic viewfinder so when you stop down it compensates for the drop in light levels.
08-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, the exposure lock button (AE-L) doesn't function under M mode.
Yes, that is what you might expect. M mode exposure is locked by nature.

Steve
08-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The A7 has an electronic viewfinder so when you stop down it compensates for the drop in light levels.
But the DOF reflects the actual set aperture and the viewfinder magnification and apparent size/distance. There are plus points and minus points to this depending on whether the lens exhibits focus shift on stop-down.

Steve

08-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
But the DOF reflects the actual set aperture and the viewfinder magnification and apparent size/distance. There are plus points and minus points to this depending on whether the lens exhibits focus shift on stop-down.
Steve
That's right, but I was surprised how well I can focus stopped down to medium apertures even with the added DOF.
08-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks for explaining

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is what you might expect. M mode exposure is locked by nature.
Steve
Do you mean that it is locked once I half press the shutter button or is it locked because you pick the shutter speed anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
That's right, but I was surprised how well I can focus stopped down to medium apertures even with the added DOF.
Thank you. Could you please tell me what adapter you use?
08-26-2015, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Do you mean that it is locked once I half press the shutter button or is it locked because you pick the shutter speed anyway.
It is locked as the camera do not adjust exposure in M-mode. (unless you tell it to by FI press green button).

AE-L button is used in manual mode too, but here it locks "exposure value" so if you have it locked, adjusting aperture will also adjust shutter speed to keep the same exposure value. But it only works for A-series and newer lenses.
08-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It is locked as the camera do not adjust exposure in M-mode. (unless you tell it to by FI press green button).

AE-L button is used in manual mode too, but here it locks "exposure value" so if you have it locked, adjusting aperture will also adjust shutter speed to keep the same exposure value. But it only works for A-series and newer lenses.
Thank you for explaining
08-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote

Excellent explanation!

Steve
08-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, remember the center metering is very sensitive to your subject. You'll get the feel for it, by pointing to shadow and highlights in your field of vision.