Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Nice...

To be fair, I have a solid understanding of HTML, some Javascript, etc. so that helped get things rolling along, but if you leverage the support forums, they're really good.

I learned HTML in Notepad...
Cool - something else new to learn!

07-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi: Now that I am actually posting images it seems I should host them elsewhere and link them here to save our storage, etc.

Who do you use for ease, cost, hotlinks, flexibility, etc.

I don't really need C&C functions - I can get that here and prefer to - just simple, inexpensive hosting and hotlinking, with capacity to grow as I upload more and better images.
No one else has mentioned Webshots. I've been using them since 2001 and the only problem I had was when I hit the limit on the free account. I paid my dues (~$30/yr) and no problems since. I also have accounts with Kodak and Adobe, but don't really use them.
My brother-in-law started using the free webshots service about two or three years ago. He posts stuff from his kids scout meetings and sporting events that draw a lot of views. He has gone well past the free limit and they aren't charging him. He might have slipped through the cracks or it may be because he draws a large enough crowd.
I'm happy with my webshots account.
Brian
07-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll add another vote for SmugMug. They have a very good attitude and are prompt about giving you a hand if you get stuck on some technical issue. Note that I use the paid account, IIRC it's about $30/yr

NaCl(good vibes and good support)H2O
07-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

picasaweb for sharing links to albums (mostly for family) and flickr pro ($25) for linking images in band other places. I'd proably just use picasa, but you can't link to images directly there, at least not from here.

07-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tryed a few and Photobucket won out.
07-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Most of my stuff is on photo.net right now (easy, fairly cheap and has unlimited storage). I am getting ready to open a full blown e-commerce capable site soon at ifp3. They have several templates and don't take a cut of your sales!
07-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #22
Inactive Account

The ifp3 website looks like what I have been after it will save me time at this point from developing a new site from scratch and finding hosting and all the other things that go with it . Thanks for the info.
07-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
SouthShoreRob

SmugMug user here. Power user level. Photos and videos. Customizable. Very happy.

07-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm still refining my skill (maybe forever), but I use photosig. It's a tough place to share and what I've found is that depending on the time you post (when you will get the most reviews) and the kind of replies (some are extremely harsh) you can actually wade through a lot of the muck and learn from the other users. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the other users are helpful, but there are a few that feel that if something doesn't conform to their views, your work is a big pile of dog s*&t in thier eyes... You just have to look beyond those folks - often you can hombile them. I'll have to say I've learned a good bit sharing there.
07-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hey monochrome,
I use zenfolio and like it pretty well. I upload all kinds of pics, good and bad and my stuff is pretty random and unorganized (ADD) but it adds some peace of mind to know that if I got robbed or the house were destroyed, I would still have some files saved. A guy I know was robbed and the theif took his computer and a drive he had plugged into it and lost 300 gigs of pictures, mostly eagles.
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
Lens Buying Addict

Original Poster
Thanks all -

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Most of my stuff is on photo.net right now (easy, fairly cheap and has unlimited storage). I am getting ready to open a full blown e-commerce capable site soon at ifp3. They have several templates and don't take a cut of your sales!
I like the photo.net interface, but as I said, person decided I'm a fanboy because I did some financial analysis of Hoya (my real business) and contradicted his disparaging remarks. Mod pulled MY comments and left the ones from the member with 10,000 posts, even though they were ad hominem versus me and others on the thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
The ifp3 website looks like what I have been after it will save me time at this point from developing a new site from scratch and finding hosting and all the other things that go with it . Thanks for the info.
Thanks - if I ever reach the selling point (if I ever even post here and ask for C&C) I'll look there.

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
SmugMug user here. Power user level. Photos and videos. Customizable. Very happy.
Seems very supportive and a strong relationship site.

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
I'm still refining my skill (maybe forever), but I use photosig. It's a tough place to share and what I've found is that depending on the time you post (when you will get the most reviews) and the kind of replies (some are extremely harsh) you can actually wade through a lot of the muck and learn from the other users. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the other users are helpful, but there are a few that feel that if something doesn't conform to their views, your work is a big pile of dog s*&t in thier eyes... You just have to look beyond those folks - often you can hombile them. I'll have to say I've learned a good bit sharing there.
Thank - you. My personal belief is I don't need to be humiliated to learn - certainly the regular posters here make criticisms, but they are of the , "I like this, and you could do that differently/better" variety.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey monochrome,
I use zenfolio and like it pretty well. I upload all kinds of pics, good and bad and my stuff is pretty random and unorganized (ADD) but it adds some peace of mind to know that if I got robbed or the house were destroyed, I would still have some files saved. A guy I know was robbed and the theif took his computer and a drive he had plugged into it and lost 300 gigs of pictures, mostly eagles.
Hi borno: I've seen others use zenfolio - especially if they are selling from the site or have a strong display site - it's on my list.

Thanks for all the comments - from the regulars and the occasional posters. This is a wonderful Forum!

Paul
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #27

Some interesting links here!

I've also used photo.net for a bit but gave up on it. Nearly impossible to get any usable feedback on photos there. For that photosig works a lot better for me.

I've my own site build with gallery2 - I think it's a bit hard to maintain, but it has a lot of power and freedom.

I've also uploaded a couple of geo tagged pictures to Panoramio just to see them get added to google earth :-)
08-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #28
Pentaxian

2008 list of reviews

This might interest some people, i'm trying dotphoto the free version, just started it.

Currently using Picassa web albums for personal stuff but not quite happy how that's turning out. I've used Flickr pro, but i hate sharing via a link currently i'm using imageshack for general stuff as you don't have to sign up like photobucket now.

Eventually the best is to just use your own site from your ISP or external all paying as they're never free and an album shell as you have more/better control.

Photo Sharing Services Review 2008
08-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #29

Any sites let visitors zoom in on photos. I took some pictures of a restaurant menu. I want to post a link on a local food forum but the text is too small to read without zooming or my cropping the photos.
08-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

upgraded to zenfolio
-looks good on basic themes
-not slow uploads
-great navigation and easy to show EXIF data