Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
another +1 to smugmug. It's easy for me, I don't really have the time to design things myself, so I just use one of their preset color schemes, but even their plain jane setups look nice, so it works for me.

08-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spb37 Quote
Any sites let visitors zoom in on photos. I took some pictures of a restaurant menu. I want to post a link on a local food forum but the text is too small to read without zooming or my cropping the photos.

Multiply does, but JPEG recommended for uploads.
08-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I've been using Photobucket. Seems to work good for me.
08-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Wow, this has been an informative thread for me. Thanks for this!

08-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #35

Zenfolio

I trialed SmugMug and Zenfolio. For me, Zenfolio was considerably better...
08-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #36

There is other 2 sites that are worth a mention.

First is Zoomr, a good flickr rival with less limits and the other is aminus3 which seems to be very good as a photoblog type site.
09-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Flickr free account, kinda upset once I reached my 200 picture limit I didn't know existed until I got a warning, the old images remain just they're not visible again unless you pay.

Besides that my own website.
can you link to the "invisible" images?
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I see this threads been active again lately, and realized my past post is now somewhat out of date... I'm now using a smugmug pro account for hosting my pics.

I wouldn't say it's exactly "easy" to customize your site, but with some work you can have a custom site which bears only as much similarity to smugmug's default as you want it to.

09-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #39
Pentaxian

just thought i'd chime in to say i am surprised there have not been more people in this thread saying flickr... I was one who was also surprised when i hit the 200 free account limit and my photos dissappeared, but I think their yearly fee is reasonable for the service and features...
09-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
just thought i'd chime in to say i am surprised there have not been more people in this thread saying flickr... I was one who was also surprised when i hit the 200 free account limit and my photos dissappeared, but I think their yearly fee is reasonable for the service and features...
I didn't even know they had a 200 limit. You mean they didn't just prohibit you from uploading more, they actually deleted all of your already uploaded images?!?
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I didn't even know they had a 200 limit. You mean they didn't just prohibit you from uploading more, they actually deleted all of your already uploaded images?!?
No, flickr does not delete the images, nor do they stop you from uploading any more. All that happens is that only the most recent 200 photos will be displayed; if you have 200 photos and upload 10 more, the first 10 photos you ever uploaded will not be displayed, but they are still there!

I recently upgraded from a free to pro flickr account, and instantly, I had access to over 2000 photos that I had uploaded over the years...
09-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #42
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all again for bringing this thread back to life! Lots of great ideas. For now I am using up my pay-in at pbase. With a little practice the interface is getting easier, but I think it more oriented to being a display site for photo catalogs than as a linking site for Forum postings.

I do like that the linked images retain EXIF info - something that even PF strips out if you upload to the user gallery and link to your image in a thread.
09-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #43
Pentaxian

yeah, sorry for the confusion.. they disappear from view is all I meant. I think it's a good strategy really, because by the time I had over 200 photos hosted there, I was well familiar with them and wanted to stick with them, and like I said, felt that what they offer is reasonably priced...
09-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Add Jalbum similar to Zenfolio but has a free option, so currently i'm testing Multiply, Jalbum with either to be upgraded in the future to a paid account or just run my own site for almost complete control over my images.

Add Kodak Gallery to the list

Last edited by Clicker; 09-08-2008 at 05:08 AM.
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #45
Inactive Account

My first paid year at Flickr is about to expire so this is timely for me.

Pros:

- re-sign, get 3 extra months added on free.
- 20mb/file, unlimited uploads
- lots and lots of feedback potential once you get into the user created groups
- linkage
- reasonable cost

Cons

- I don't care for the layout and can't organize it to my liking, no black background, etc.
- no sales potential if thats something you aspire to.

I feel I may perhaps be ready to drop a little more on a more in-depth option.

Thanks to tips here, that will likely be SmugMug or Picasa, will inform.

K.